PhotographyCorner.com Forums

PhotographyCorner.com Forums (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/index.php)
-   Things (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   A VERY rare visitor... (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/showthread.php?t=124977)

squirl033 September 5th, 2017 08:26 PM

A VERY rare visitor...

There's been a swallow-tailed gull hanging out in this area for about a week, which has birders from all over the country all a-twitter. People have been coming to see it from as far away as Illinois and Florida. The reason? This gull is native to the Galapagos Islands, and has only seen twice before in North America! The previous two sightings were in California in the 1980s, so this was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. After just missing it for several days, I finally caught up with it this afternoon... it was roosting among some other gulls along the side of a pier, so the background is less than ideal, but it was only about 25 yards away, so I was able to get a good look at it. Wasn't doing much - just dozing and occasionally moving around - but I was able to get some decent shots to commemorate this extremely rare visit. Here's one of the better images...

http://image.ibb.co/daLyjF/IMG_8505_crop_sm.jpg

Nod September 5th, 2017 10:11 PM

Re: A VERY rare visitor...

For whatever reason, Malwarebytes blocks me from seeing your post. I've never had a problem clicking on your post before. I wonder why I can't ?

OrvSal September 6th, 2017 12:14 AM

Now that is a rare shot of a gull I've never heard of. Very nice capture and I hope it stays around a while.

squirl033 September 6th, 2017 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nod (Post 826453)
For whatever reason, Malwarebytes blocks me from seeing your post. I've never had a problem clicking on your post before. I wonder why I can't ?

I changed image hosting sites, quit Photobucket after they screwed everyone over, and switched to imgBB.com... maybe your AV software doesn't like that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrvSal (Post 826455)
Now that is a rare shot of a gull I've never heard of. Very nice capture and I hope it stays around a while.

Thanks, Orv! So do I... would love to get some shots of it with a more natural backdrop, or better still, in flight...

agiledogs September 6th, 2017 02:11 AM

Congrats on such a lucky encounter. You captured him well

Nod September 6th, 2017 09:55 AM

Yep, my Malware was blocking your site, got it fixed. Indeed that is a great shot of a rare bird. I wonder how it ended up there ?

IKuhn September 6th, 2017 12:08 PM

A very rare visitor, and a very nice shot. Way to go. Glad it worked out for you.

noelcmn November 14th, 2017 03:21 PM

Congratulations on that sighting. Funny that Twitching, had rare sighing in Johannesburg a few years and boy, were there visitors at the Botanical Gardens from all over SA and beyond. For a week or more. Being a Twitcher myself, I joined the crowd, and saw ..... Nothing :). Great Shot!

jerrywb November 15th, 2017 07:06 PM

Wow you were in the right place at the right time with your camera. I would not have known what I was seeing/photographing other than it's a seagull until I got it downloaded and then went searching for an ID... Nice!!!

squirl033 November 21st, 2017 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agiledogs (Post 826457)
Congrats on such a lucky encounter. You captured him well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nod (Post 826459)
Yep, my Malware was blocking your site, got it fixed. Indeed that is a great shot of a rare bird. I wonder how it ended up there ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IKuhn (Post 826460)
A very rare visitor, and a very nice shot. Way to go. Glad it worked out for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noelcmn (Post 826643)
Congratulations on that sighting. Funny that Twitching, had rare sighing in Johannesburg a few years and boy, were there visitors at the Botanical Gardens from all over SA and beyond. For a week or more. Being a Twitcher myself, I joined the crowd, and saw ..... Nothing :). Great Shot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrywb (Post 826655)
Wow you were in the right place at the right time with your camera. I would not have known what I was seeing/photographing other than it's a seagull until I got it downloaded and then went searching for an ID... Nice!!!

Thanks, guys! It sure was a thrill to get to photograph such a rarity! :)