PhotographyCorner.com Forums

PhotographyCorner.com Forums (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/index.php)
-   Things (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Black/White or Color??? and Is something missing? (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/showthread.php?t=106536)

isldgl September 13th, 2012 01:10 PM

Black/White or Color??? and Is something missing?

I shot this patch of weeds yesterday at a beach park with my micro lens...I have posted a black/white version and a color version...

I feel like something is missing or is it just me...

Any feedback would be appreciated...and thank you very much for looking!

Color Version:

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...r/ae444ef5.jpg

Black/White Version:

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...r/aa314004.jpg

Sasquatch September 13th, 2012 01:19 PM

Re: Black/White or Color??? and Is something missing?

I don't know if it's really missing anything, it's just not all that compelling of a compostion for me.......

isldgl September 13th, 2012 01:30 PM

Sasquatch...Thank you for taking the time to present feedback...ahhh composition! I was moving around this patch of weeds and I could see an opportunity, but for some reason it just wasn't working for me...
If you notice on the bottom left hand of the photo...that is the patch of weeds that I shot...and just below is a 3 foot rock wall that this area sits on. I suppose I should try again...any ideas?

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...r/96c0c92e.jpg

VTerlakyPhoto September 13th, 2012 01:56 PM

I think what's a little off are two things. First, your DOF is really shallow, only a few strands of weed are in focus, but the majority of the shot is out of focus. Personally I think that a slightly wider DOF would've worked better here. Second, these type shots usually try to portray the "never ending" field of <grass, weed, flowers - fill in the blank>. However in the background here there is a (very out of focus) dark structure, which is simply distracting to my eyes. It should either be in focus (or at least recognizable) to provide context, otherwise it should be omitted altogether. On a positive tone - the colours in the first pic are great, and I'm sure that the weed with just a blue sky in the back would look spectacular :)

isldgl September 13th, 2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTerlakyPhoto (Post 747800)
I think what's a little off are two things. First, your DOF is really shallow, only a few strands of weed are in focus, but the majority of the shot is out of focus. Personally I think that a slightly wider DOF would've worked better here. Second, these type shots usually try to portray the "never ending" field of <grass, weed, flowers - fill in the blank>. However in the background here there is a (very out of focus) dark structure, which is simply distracting to my eyes. It should either be in focus (or at least recognizable) to provide context, otherwise it should be omitted altogether. On a positive tone - the colours in the first pic are great, and I'm sure that the weed with just a blue sky in the back would look spectacular :)

"ahhhh I see"...I knew something wasn't just quite right...I had an image in my head...and yes now I understand since you mentioned the "never ending" vision. Thank you for helping me figure that part out...

I am gonna really practice today to widen my DOF...I have so long been stuck in "fast shutter speed" mode...time to broaden my horizon and learn more about aperture settings...which btw I am still trying to grasp the concept of. I think that is why my landscapes or shots like these never reach their full potential...(in my opinion...are JUNK!...lol)

Thank you so much for your feedback...It definitely was very informative and I learned a lot from it! I really am grateful!

mrchile September 15th, 2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isldgl (Post 747804)
"ahhhh I see"...I knew something wasn't just quite right...I had an image in my head...and yes now I understand since you mentioned the "never ending" vision. Thank you for helping me figure that part out...

I am gonna really practice today to widen my DOF...I have so long been stuck in "fast shutter speed" mode...time to broaden my horizon and learn more about aperture settings...which btw I am still trying to grasp the concept of. I think that is why my landscapes or shots like these never reach their full potential...(in my opinion...are JUNK!...lol)

Thank you so much for your feedback...It definitely was very informative and I learned a lot from it! I really am grateful!

While you are at it, try a variety of shots from extreemly shallow DOF to very deep DOF.
However, for the shallow DOF make your focus point right at the front of the frame instead of part way in. That way the eye doesn't have to search before finding something to focus on.
You also may want to leave off the conversions and other effects until you feel you've mastered the basics. One step at a time.

isldgl September 20th, 2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrchile (Post 748002)
While you are at it, try a variety of shots from extreemly shallow DOF to very deep DOF.
However, for the shallow DOF make your focus point right at the front of the frame instead of part way in. That way the eye doesn't have to search before finding something to focus on.
You also may want to leave off the conversions and other effects until you feel you've mastered the basics. One step at a time.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate the helpful tips and suggestions. Just excited to share and shoot...but you are right about that..learning the basics and master that first. Practice, practice and more practice! hee hee! :D