PhotographyCorner.com Forums

PhotographyCorner.com Forums (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/index.php)
-   Photography Equipment (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Memory card issues (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/showthread.php?t=120502)

MountainGirl May 27th, 2015 12:14 AM

Memory card issues

1 Attachment(s)
Ignore the weird face that my husband is making ;) but should I scrap the memory card that this file was on? It's the only one of the set that did this. It makes me think my card might be going bad. Thoughts?! Advice?!

agiledogs May 27th, 2015 12:22 AM

Re: Memory card issues

What exactly did the card do? Typically though if you are having problems with a card it should be replaced.

MountainGirl May 28th, 2015 12:02 AM

I put the card back in my camera and found that image and it looked fine. I pulled it off again onto my computer and the image looks normal. So I guess maybe the card is fine and for some reason it didn't copy right the first time.

agiledogs May 28th, 2015 07:04 AM

Sounds like an incomplete transfer then

IKuhn May 28th, 2015 07:15 AM

I'd reformat it just to be safe once you pull the images off and put it back in your camera.

Stevendwels July 8th, 2015 12:33 AM

A Memory Card is used by digital camera to store the photos it takes. Popular memory cards include the SD card, CF card, xD-Picture card and Memory Stick. For some reason, memory cards may get damaged during a power shortage, or removal of the memory card on picture shooting or viewing, or other various and unknown reasons. Usually, you will see error messages like "memory card error", "card locked", "card error", or an error code on your camera screen and the valuable pictures on the memory card could disappear and be lost. In some cases, your camera or Windows may prompt you to re-format the memory card and refuse to take new pictures or view old pictures.

Solution:

Once you have damaged your memory card, it is highly recommended to stop further operations on the memory card (e.g. taking new pictures, or deleting or formatting the memory card). Data recovery software like "CardRecovery" is able to recover the lost pictures in most cases.

First, you need to confirm your memory card can appear as a drive letter in "My Computer", which will allow recovery software to access and recover the lost photos. You may try to connect your digital camera to your computer, if a new drive letter appears in "My Computer", this is normal. Otherwise, you need to prepare an USB card reader. There are many card readers available on the market (e.g. SanDisk and Kingston). You can buy one from Amazon or BestBuy.

Then, download and install CardRecovery on your computer. Launch it from the Start Menu -> Programs -> CardRecovery. You select the drive letter of your memory card, and the destination folder to save the recovered files. CardRecovery will scan your memory card and locate the recoverable pictures. The process is quick and easy. Usually it takes less than 15 minutes.

Melbourne Event Photography

MannyC July 8th, 2015 10:57 AM

Yea, I've seen this happen with my D80 once when I first got it. I used to take shots, then take out the card, place in my card reader then download, put back in camera...that was when the 2G SD cards were the nice cards :)

Now I'm using a 32G and cable so the card doesn't leave my camera, less chance of ESD or any kind of handling damage.
Glad you got it sorted out :D