PhotographyCorner.com Forums

PhotographyCorner.com Forums (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/index.php)
-   Conversation Corner (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Reality or Impact? (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/showthread.php?t=53840)

BruceS February 4th, 2007 07:08 AM

Reality or Impact?

I've been struggling with this lately with certain photos, especially ones with lots of sky colour, or potential for it that can be brought out with additional saturation or toning. Do I go for real eye catching impact, or do I reflect more of the reality of the scene? Being in the process of building a portfolio, I'm looking at pictures with the thought, "would I hang this on my wall"? Sometimes I think I push it too far, and sometimes not far enough.

It seems to me that beyond great light, there's an artistic decision to be made with digital photography. So my question is, how far are you willing to push it in post processing? I'm assuming you're shooting raw and are starting with the basic image. So now you start to "make" the photograph rather than take what the camera's algorithm decided for you. How far do you go?
Cheers,
Bruce

ndroo February 4th, 2007 07:12 AM

I'm sure it all depends on individual. Some like it 'unplugged' and some love them 'remixed'. For me, I'll do anything that pleases myself without worrying much about what others think. It's impossible to make a right 'artistic' decision :LOL:

BruceS February 4th, 2007 07:23 AM

Quote:

It's impossible to make a right 'artistic' decision :lol:
Man ain't that the truth!! :lol:

squirl033 February 4th, 2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndroo (Post 411895)
It's impossible to make a right 'artistic' decision :LOL:

it's also impossible to make a "wrong" one... do what pleases YOU. if others like it, wonderful. if not, well, that's art... no viewer will like all your work, and no artist can please every viewer.

personally, i tend to prefer my images as "unplugged" as possible. that being said, i am not averse to giving a dull photo a bit more "pop" in PP by adding contrast or tweaking the saturation a bit. on occasion, i'll even add color effects like a graduated tint, though that is very rare.

DDAY February 4th, 2007 11:53 AM

For me, I try (emphasis on try) to re-create the image as I saw it when I shot it. That means both visually and emotionally to me. The camera doesn't work as well as our eyes & brain (even when shooting RAW) so it does take some work to get the image to come close what I first experienced before tripping the shutter. Sometimes it's more work than others in terms of post-processing.

The best images have the right combination of artistry and reality. Can't say that I've ever achieved this myself though.

knaq3 February 4th, 2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDAY (Post 412030)
For me, I try (emphasis on try) to re-create the image as I saw it when I shot it. That means both visually and emotionally to me. The camera doesn't work as well as our eyes & brain (even when shooting RAW) so it does take some work to get the image to come close what I first experienced before tripping the shutter. Sometimes it's more work than others in terms of post-processing.

The best images have the right combination of artistry and reality. Can't say that I've ever achieved this myself though.

Very well put DDay; It's the fact that you're even concerned about the decision, really, that makes you an artist. Its very true that a photograph is just a summary of what we see; so any need to add or subtract elements in a photo to project that vision is quite justifiable. Great thread starter BTW

BruceS February 5th, 2007 06:04 AM

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I too really like Dan's answer. Well said!
Cheers,
Bruce