PhotographyCorner.com Forums

PhotographyCorner.com Forums (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/index.php)
-   Places (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A Summer's Day (http://www.PHOTOGRAPHYCORNER.INFO/showthread.php?t=635)

midnitejam July 17th, 2004 03:52 PM

A Summer's Day

How would you improve this image....
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...ocorner006.jpg

Soopah July 17th, 2004 04:39 PM

There isn't much wrong with it. I might adjust the crop a little bit, to reduce the amount of space in the foreground, but that's a personal preference really, otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Kara July 17th, 2004 04:46 PM

Yeah I would too crop out some of the foreground so they arent so much in the center of the frame. I say foreground cos i love how youve captured the rays coming thru the trees. Its a really great shot with a lot of potential tho!

midnitejam July 17th, 2004 06:18 PM

I guess I never thought about cropping the bottom to enhance the rule of thirds. I got so wrapt up in the compositional element of "Continuation" expressed by the shadows from the border to the children that I forgot to consider the horizontal thirds. I was counting on the continuation of those shadows to give the shot a spacial quality and a feeling of 3D. Guess I goofed, huh?

Probably an 8 x 10 aspect ratio would work better than the square outcrop, too.

I think I looked at this one longer than I should have when I was considering the different outcropps.

Tim L. Walker July 17th, 2004 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I played around with it a bit... (like 5 minutes while I am at work... :lol: ) - I'm not sure if mine is better or not... but it's at least different... hehe. I shrunk down the file size to make it smaller... 16pt compression... ;)

RobW July 17th, 2004 07:00 PM

One thing I'm thinking, is that the tones seem a touch 'cool' for a summer's day, particularly on the children's skin, unless you were trying to get the effect of a high sun. If you're comfortable with photoshop, maybe try the color balance and boost the midtone yellows and reds a bit, maybe even a touch of green as well to bring out the trees.

I played with your photo, and thought that this combination worked (you can try it)

Cyan-Red +30
Magenta-Green +20
Yellow-Blue -30

These option may be different on something other than PS7

Tim L. Walker July 17th, 2004 07:03 PM

I did something similar to what Rob suggested above... not exactly the same, but I did up the Red & green... played with contract and saturation. ;)

RobW July 17th, 2004 07:05 PM

Wow, we posted at the same time, and we were thinking the same thing...scary :shock:

Tim L. Walker July 17th, 2004 07:22 PM

Did my edit turn out the way you pictured it in your head? ;)

midnitejam July 17th, 2004 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker
I did something similar to what Rob suggested above... not exactly the same, but I did up the Red & green... played with contract and saturation. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobW
One thing I'm thinking, is that the tones seem a touch 'cool' for a summer's day, particularly on the children's skin, unless you were trying to get the effect of a high sun. If you're comfortable with photoshop, maybe try the color balance and boost the midtone yellows and reds a bit, maybe even a touch of green as well to bring out the trees.

I played with your photo, and thought that this combination worked (you can try it)

Cyan-Red +30
Magenta-Green +20
Yellow-Blue -30

These option may be different on something other than PS7

This edit is way KEWL! I mistakenly thought the original needed the extra shadow object in the foreground to help the rays focus on the children and I also thought it lent to the element of continuation--NOT SO!

The edit you've made gives the pic a whole new feel.

So, RobW, am I right in assuming that midtone yellows and reds will enhance skin tone? And are the changes you suggest toing to be global changes or selective on the skin?

Tim, what dimension should the original have been? LPI and DPI?

Thanks guys, You're making an Artist of me.