View Single Post
  #1    Top
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Expat Photographer
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Reality or Impact?

I've been struggling with this lately with certain photos, especially ones with lots of sky colour, or potential for it that can be brought out with additional saturation or toning. Do I go for real eye catching impact, or do I reflect more of the reality of the scene? Being in the process of building a portfolio, I'm looking at pictures with the thought, "would I hang this on my wall"? Sometimes I think I push it too far, and sometimes not far enough.

It seems to me that beyond great light, there's an artistic decision to be made with digital photography. So my question is, how far are you willing to push it in post processing? I'm assuming you're shooting raw and are starting with the basic image. So now you start to "make" the photograph rather than take what the camera's algorithm decided for you. How far do you go?
Cheers,
Bruce