View Single Post
  #4    Top
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: Black/White or Color??? and Is something missing?

I think what's a little off are two things. First, your DOF is really shallow, only a few strands of weed are in focus, but the majority of the shot is out of focus. Personally I think that a slightly wider DOF would've worked better here. Second, these type shots usually try to portray the "never ending" field of <grass, weed, flowers - fill in the blank>. However in the background here there is a (very out of focus) dark structure, which is simply distracting to my eyes. It should either be in focus (or at least recognizable) to provide context, otherwise it should be omitted altogether. On a positive tone - the colours in the first pic are great, and I'm sure that the weed with just a blue sky in the back would look spectacular

My Smugmug