View Single Post
  #1    Top
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
The Nechako River on XP2

Now that I've basically fulfilled my project of taking a picture with each of the cameras in my collection, I'm settling down now to do some actual photography with black and white film, with reliable vintage cameras.

So now the trick is to learn the films better, because they ARE diffferent from my heyday. So my next few posts will be about films, but the pictures I post should be considered as photographs, irrespective of technique, so flail away critically, by all means.

So you can ignore following two paragraphs if you wish, and just view the photograph as a normal post.

XP2 is a very unusual film. It uses dyes like color negative film, but in monochrome, and thus has plusses and minuses of that emulsion type. At it's best, it has almost no grain, incredible tonal graduation, and 4 stops of latitude. AT it's worst, it can produce truly ugly images. I'll show you these as well, in my next post.

But first up is the displayed image. Shot at dusk (light below the trees) at ISO 400, the rated speed of the emulsion. Exakta VX 500, 35mm Zeiss f2.8 Flektogon lens, 1/30th at f8. Just look at the picture for now as a photograph. This is the Nechako River, taken from the Foothills Bridge in north Prince George. I'll discuss the film characteristics in another post tomorrow, with positive and negative pictures.

Thanks for looking in. By the way, this is a scanned 4x6 machine print done by a one hour photo lab.

Thanks for looking in.