View Single Post
  #2    Top
Old April 8th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: The Death of Digital Photography as We Know It

Interesting article though I find myself in disagreement with the conclusions. As innovation and advancements have slowed tremendously as pointed out in the article the need for constantly upgrading to the newest and greatest camera has greatly declined. People are finding that what they have is working fine for what they are shooting and producing.

This means the remaining market are for new buyers just coming on to the scene and those needing to replace old equipment that is damaged beyond repair...Especially at the high end. I shoot a D4 and paid a huge price upon purchase. 1 year later the D4s comes out and a 2 years after that the D5...to upgrade each time would have cost a small fortune that I did not have available. My D4 still works and continues to be my primary work camera. I see other pros still toting D3s and D3Ss as well at many of the track and field events and cross country events....or their older canon equivalents.

If something should happen which would mean my D4 could not be repaired (like a saltwater bath, or shattering after falling from a high distance), I would only then consider replacing it. As of now its cheaper to refurbish and maintain it so I really have no need to upgrade. That is what is causing the slowdown.