Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Junior VIP Member
Ok, what is it?

These look clearer to me than the other ones, but it's evident to me that I am having issues with focus. Now remember I am shooting without help of a tripod, I have a broken back(very sore to try and bend over to these flowers), and am a little medicated. But I wonder if I'm not(and probably am) having a technical issue when shooting. I shot these with 400 speed B@W in aperture priority mode(aperture stopped way down). But I would have thought that the 400 speed would have helped me crarify better than I was able to here(compared to my other shots posted here that I made with 100 speed).

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0006857-R1-005-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	19386  Click image for larger version

Name:	0006857-R1-015-6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	19387  
http://www.mountainmonster.freeforums.org
  #2    Top
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Junior VIP Member
Hmm, I guess I'll just refrain from posting any of my attempts at macro until I get better on my own.
I apologize for subjecting everyone to my ugly shots.

Jeff
  #3    Top
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Stop sulking and get back in here and sit down!!!

Okay:

First shot I like, but I think it needs a little more something - unfortunately that something I think is going to be a smaller aperture - and that is going to need a tripod . . the comp is good and the choice of subject is good as well. (Just re-read and realised you used a small aperture - hmmmmm . . .)

The second shot seems overexposed: Your camera seems to have been confused by the amount of white in the shot and then gone for that - be very careful when working with this amount of white in the frame it's always going to confuse a TTL meter. If in doubt then bracket and see what you get.

I know this is easy coming from a DSLR user as I can keep going until I get the shot . .

Biggest advice, buy a small tripod - it's a great investment that you will never regret!

Right - now you can go!

Sorry for being flippant - but sometimes peeps in here can take a while to respond! Keep going and keep contributing and most importantly look around at what others are up to !

Hope that this helps?

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Junior VIP Member
Not sulking a bit. Just noticed that my last few posts haven't drawn much attention. So I will just be a bit more........selective in the future. Thanks for your input concerning these shots----I learn something new each day.
  #5    Top
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Two things jump out at me... low contrast on both flowers and they are soft looking... as in not in sharp focus. The first one seems to have the leaves in the lower left more in focus than the flower itself. So it appears that you might have had trouble keeping the spot you wanted to focus on in focus. If you were having a hard time bending over, this could very well cause it. I 2nd the suggestion of a tripod. One advantage this will give you is that you can set it up, focus on a spot and if you have to straighten up for a bit, you won't lose your focus when you can bend back down.

The low contrast looks like it's caused by being underexposed. If you have Photoshop you might try upping the contrast a bit and also increasing the unsharp mask.

Mike
  #6    Top
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Junior VIP Member
LOL! I actually softened these a bit with my Xnview software----I thought they looked better that way. Thanks, I'll go and play with my software a bit.
And getting a tripod ASAP. I really love trying my hand at this type of shooting, I find flowers very lovely when they are filling my viewfinder.

Jeff
  #7    Top
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Not ugly, jeff at all, sorry I'm having major PC problems lately, looking near a reboot so haven't been able to stay on line much lately..sometimes just seconds to be honest. I think they both needf a little more variation in tone, more contrast..you're shooting with film, aren't you? They seem a little over exposed and so some detail is lost. But, hey, don't be discouraged when folk don't comment, I've had many a shot (that I thought was brilliant ) ) slide on through without a second glance.

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things