Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner > Corner Photo Walks > Allentown, PA

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Brother
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
We're Meeting Up In Allentown!

All Corner Members are invited to attend the Corner Meetup for the Allentown/Philadelphia PA area!

When: May 11-15, 2011 (Come for 1, 2, 3, 4, or all 5 days!)

Your Hosts: Me, Mike Dorn (Strutter) and Carl Chalupa (Spicoli)

Plan your arrival time for around 12:00 Noon on Wednesday, May 11th. For those that are flying in, you should book your flight into the Lehigh Valley International (ABE) Airport. (Please email or private message your flight info to me so I can keep track of the arrivals.) Car rentals are available at the airport. Once I have an idea of how many are attending and staying over, I will look into a group rate at the hotels in the Allentown area and post the information ASAP so you can book your rooms.

The Agenda:

Day 1: Wednesday, May 11 – Arrival and get acquainted afternoon, possibly some nighttime/late day cemetery photography. For those who do not wish to do a cemetery walk, local towns of Bethlehem, Allentown, Easton are within a few minutes driving distance for photography, shopping, or lots of eateries/clubs.

Day 2: Thursday, May 12 (Leave Allentown at 8AM) - Centrailia Pennsylvania - the ghost town of PA! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania or http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/maps.htm – I will check access to the area again in early April of 2011. If we are unable to visit the area, an alternate destination will be planned and announced. Alternate day trips: New York City, Gettysburg, PA, Jim Thorpe, PA or New Hope, PA if we are unable to visit Centralia. If wanted, some nighttime/late day cemetery photography. For those who do not wish to do a cemetery walk, local towns of Bethlehem, Allentown, Easton are within a few minutes driving distance for photography, shopping, or lots of eateries/clubs.

Thursday night - "Exit 22" show (Strutter's band) at Holiday Inn Breinigsville. Time to be announced.

Day 3: Friday, May 13 - (Leave for Philadelphia at 8AM) – First stop: Eastern State Penitentiary! http://www.easternstate.org/ See where Al Capone spent 8 years of jail time and walk the cell blocks of history. Watch out for the ghost cats!! Then we’re off to Graffiti Alley in Philadelphia, PA. http://www.flickr.com/photos/reverse...th/5084969523/ - Located at the dock area of Philadelphia – great for HDR and portrait photography.

Day 4: Saturday, May 14 – Open for group discussion/planning. Evening – Local pub/show?

Day 5: Sunday, May 15 – Departure for home.

Current weather conditions for Allentown, PA as of 5-10-11...

Hotel most of us will be staying at...

Super 8 Motel (4.2 out of 5) - Here is the link for booking
2160 Golden Key Rd, Kutztown, PA, 19530
866-539-8430

• Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom - 9.1*miles
• Philip and Muriel Berman Sculpture Park - 10*miles
• Cedar Creek Park - 10*miles
• Allentown - 12*miles
• Soldiers and Sailors Monument - 12*miles
• Allentown Symphony Hall - 13*miles
• Art Allentown Museum - 13*miles
• Trout Hall - 13*miles
• Allentown Lehigh Valley Intl. Airport (ABE) - 15*miles
• Reading Regional Airport (RDG) - 20*miles
• Hazelton Municipal Airport (HZL) - 32*miles
• Blue Bell Wings Field (BBX) - 39*miles
• Coatesville Chester County G. O. Carlson Airport (CTH) - 42*miles
• Lancaster Airport (LNS) - 45*miles

Are you in? Any questions? Ask here!

Who will be coming?

Attending:

Tj_Delikat
Strutter
Spicoli
Scott111184
sleepingdragon
aheart2heart
barklake
Nikon_Mario

Don't know yet:

Photologic Images
Medic Greg
Infiticubed (Local to here - maybe 1 or 2 days)
K_Kramer (Most likely a yes)
newlove
Jewel
wohlerperc
Vince Maidens
chellezfotoz

Not attending:
Allentown, PA Corner Meetup!
I know the REAL Mike Dorn!!

Last edited by Scott111184; May 10th, 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Corrected 'barklake' username
  #2    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: We're Meeting Up In Allentown!

Cool.....going to be a fun trip. You might have to drag me kickin and screaming from that prison tho. ...maybe that town too.
Visit me here..Room57
  #3    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Now this really sounds like a blast! I will have to check my schedule and see what I might arrange. With my part-time contract (I provide technology and software support and training for a local area school board) it may be a last minute decision on my part. I've driven through Pennsylvania a few times in the last couple of years - beautiful country. And the stops you guys have in mind would be awesome.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #4    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Would be cool if you can make it Mario. I just booked my plane ticket, and the prices were pretty good. Guess cause Im early.
Visit me here..Room57
  #5    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Carl, I'll drag you out but who's going to drag me?? I love ESP and have been anxious to get back to Centrailia!

Mario, Awesome! I'm hoping you can attend too!!
  #6    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj_Delikat View Post
Carl, I'll drag you out but who's going to drag me?? I love ESP and have been anxious to get back to Centrailia!

Mario, Awesome! I'm hoping you can attend too!!
Been hunting down that place during lunch. Dang...it looks crazy. Im now searching cemeteries.
Visit me here..Room57
  #7    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Moonlight Martini

I should be able to pop in here and there. Maybe spend a full day one day. We'll have to see a little closer to it. But it sounds fun and since I'm right here in the area it's convenient too
"There are no rules for good photographs,
there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams
Kenn Miller Photography
  #8    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I'm in, would be a great getaway.

TJ, do I need to get a taxi to the hotel or would someone be available to pick me up from the airport? I don't see a point of me getting a rental since most of us will be following the agenda. If I can carpool with someone else I'll be more than happy to pitch in for the rental and/or gas.
  #9    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott111184 View Post
I'm in, would be a great getaway.

TJ, do I need to get a taxi to the hotel or would someone be available to pick me up from the airport? I don't see a point of me getting a rental since most of us will be following the agenda. If I can carpool with someone else I'll be more than happy to pitch in for the rental and/or gas.
Scott, when you have your flight info email it to me. Someone will be there to pick you up! Carl's coming in about noon on Wednesday so see if you get a flight in around that time, we can work out a car rental then too since they are right at the airport.
  #10    Top
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Been hunting down that place during lunch. Dang...it looks crazy. Im now searching cemeteries.
Centrailia? You should be able to find lots from there. Every time I've been up there, people are walking around.

Several cemeteries right in Allentown date back to the 1800's and they are within short driving distance of each other. I'll map out a few with mausoleums and statues. The cemetery with "Mrs. Richards" isn't in Allentown but is not far from here. (Not a big cemetery though.)
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner > Corner Photo Walks > Allentown, PA