Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old February 19th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I was asked for a tutorial on this a few weeks ago and happened to have it handy. I have not tried it in cs yet I guess.. but I would imagine in can be done a bit better given some of the new cs features like shadows and highlights.. this was done is ps7.

This would be the manual way to approach things..

Colorizing a Black and White photograph in Photoshop

-Open the file to be colorized.

-Create a new layer(blank).

-Select the Brush Tool(b).

-Select the brightest, most saturated version of the color you wish to paint (aka. if you are painting flesh tone
you will need to use a very bright, saturated orange, or if you wanted a subtle blue, it would need to be bright
and saturated--but of the same hue.)

-Now paint on your new layer with the color you've selected (change your opacity on that layer to make it easier
to see what you are blocking out if necessary). Once you have completely covered the area you are colorizing go
to the layers palette and set the layer blending mode to COLOR. This causes only the "color values" to be applied
in the blend, not the lightness values--hence you get a very good colorization.

-The last step is to adjust your opacity on the layer to suit your tastes, less opacity yields a more "colored
pencil" look. Higher opacities obviously keep you closer to the original color selected.

-I would suggest keeping all of the various colors in your document on separate layers, this will allow you to use
hue/saturation and other tools to fine tune your colors after you have successfully painted the whole document.

-NOTE: Try playing around with the layer blending modes HUE, SATURATION, and LUMINOSITY--all which work in a similar
manner. These other modes are really only helpful with color images, but have quite cool effects.

you can see the end result of this procedure here. http://www.ultimatechcc.com/services...ry/restoration the last example on the page

hope that helps
Nigel Lew
Sponsors
  #12    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Recent Photo: C2011639
i've tried everything but i'm still not getting it. i have adobe 6 and cs2. can you please help me?

Angie Thompson
  #13    Top
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
That's pretty cool. I use Photoshop and Black Magic Pro for restoring old photos but didn't realize it could all be done in Photoshop until now.
  #14    Top
Old November 5th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Re: Colorizing a Black & White Photograph in Photoshop

Thanks for sharing great post about photoshop tutorials. I have looking information about the photoshop color schemes...This discussion has solve my concern to a great extent..I am very greatful.................
  #15    Top
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Re: Colorizing a Black & White Photograph in Photoshop

You can make a BW to Colour gradient, it looks pretty cool and works well with a far away background but a really close middle ground. Get Picture->Create copy ->Delete all colour on one copy->Return picture to RGB Colour (it is still blackandwhite though)->Make sure BW picture is below the coloured picture ->Create layer mask for coloured picture->Make sure layer mask is active (double border on the icon) ->Go to gradient->Radial gradient (Its circular)->Foreground to transparent gradient (its in the presets). Then do the gradient!. If it doesnt work try a Black to white gradient on the layer mask.

free photoshop tutorials
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials