Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:27 AM
macro photography

I'm interested in macro photography...what's the best lens to buy???. I need help...
  #2    Top
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: macro photography

Mark,

The obvious answer is a macro lens. However, there are many available in different focal lengths because there are lots of different approaches to macro photography and different types of subjects. A lens that may be convenient for shooting stamps and coins may not be the best choice for shooting easily frightened insects and other critters. Let us know what camera you have, what your current lenses are, what your budget may be, and what kind of macro subjects you would like to photograph. Once we have more to work with we can probably give some reasonably good advice.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #3    Top
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Also remember that 1:1 ratio reproduction when you are looking at lenses is the best. You will find 1:2 ratios on cheaper macro lenses, however 1:1 is the true macro ratio. Look for THOSE lenses when you go to buy a macro lens.
My Gear
  #4    Top
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Do you have a tripod already? Might seem silly to ask if you do, but they're absolutely essential for 1:1 macro. IMO, the heavier the better.

In answer to your question, I have a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 that works for pretty much every macro situation I've wanted it to. Nice & sharp & 1:1. Not sure what you shoot, but Canon has a similar version. I've heard nothing but good things about the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 as well.
  #5    Top
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

There are different shooting methods for macro but a tripod is "not" absolutely essential. A tripod is very nice for stationary subjects but more than likely you'll be shooting things that do not want to hold still. One method for shooting subjects at the 1:1 ratio without a tripod is to use off camera diffused lighting. Set your lens to the minimal focusing distance which will give you that 1:1 ratio, bring the viewfinder to your eye and move in slowly to your subject until it is in sharp focus. Then immediately without hesitation snap off the shot. With off camera lighting you can use a fast shutter speed. I generally use 1/100, 1/125 or 1/160. That fast a shutter speed will freeze camera movement as well as subject movement in most cases. I also shoot in manual with my two flash units set to the desired power level needed for the shot. The tripod will take care of camera movement but what about subject movement? Without using off camera lighting the small aperture used to increase DOF will result in a shutter speed that will be too slow to freeze even minimal subject movement.

Now which lens? What is your budget? Tokina 100mm, Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm are all good macro lenses. Sigma also has a 150mm and Tamron has a 180mm which I use. Let us know your budget and what you intend to shoot and we will be able to answer your question better

Jerry
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner