Best Point and Shoot? - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Best Point and Shoot?

I'm looking to buy a point and shoot and recently came across the Canon S95 online (although sold out everywhere!). Would you say that's one of the best point and shoot cameras for traveling/vacation photos, ebay photos etc? Sub $500 and pocketable.

Any others to consider?

Thanks
  #2    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Best Point and Shoot?

I don't know if I would use pocketable to describe it, but I'm a bit partial to the Nikon P5100. I've had mine about 2 years (yes, it's been around a while) and really like it. I mean, it's not a huge camera, but not as streamlined as some. and it is definitely (or should be) is under $500. I guess, though, to really answer the question, not sure there necessarily is a not good camera for vacation. Depends really on what kind of photos you're looking to take.
  #3    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks, but sorry forgot to mention HD video is important too
  #4    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Thanks, but sorry forgot to mention HD video is important too
Knocks the P5100 out then.
  #5    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Shells
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

After a fair bit of research I have decided on the super tough Olympus 810. It is water proof, crush proof, freezer proof, shock proof, does HD video, is 14 mega pixel, wide angle, internal memory, 20 some thing shooting modes and in-camera panorama. What more can you ask of a point and shoot for under $400? I await deliver with great excitement. BTW I bought camera, extra battery and 8 GB card for less than camera alone on Amazon and that's including shipping. This great deal was on line with buydig.com I ordered the silver one as I have been told the paint flakes on colored ones.
  #6    Top
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

take a look at canon sx20 or Panasonic FZ35 - if you want one of those 'super zoom' cameras (see for more info: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/)

Save A Dolphin
  #7    Top
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Canon SX210 as of last summer (did hours of research, it has the most features and best quality optics in the super pocket zoom class)
  #8    Top
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Senior VIP Member

Shawn.

I have the S95 and the image quality is quite impressive plus the user has much control. I took this picture with the S95 this past winter and it would be better without the sun and shadows but maybe you can get an idea. This was shot in JPEG.

Jerry

#9    Top
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:58 PM

Just picked up the Fuji X10, but the jury is still out on it. Some pics i'm impressed, others not so much. Outdoor pics in good like have had great results.
  #10    Top
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:43 PM

I looked at the S95 as a pocketable compact camera for going out with the family.... in the end I went with the much smaller IXUS - this was a great camera for what it is, but I missed some of the control, and the ability to shoot in RAW that I went hunting for another solution.... bringing me to S95 versus G12.

I decided the S95 was too big for a trouser pocket.... so would only be using it in a jacket pocket... that being the case I decided to go for the G12 as I preferred it's handling, control, flip-out screen and felt that it wasn't much bigger than the S95.

If G12 is more expensive than you want, you could consider a second hand G9, these seem to be selling pretty cheaply on ebay and the like. I'm thinking of getting my daughter one of these as an upgrade from her point-and-shoot.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)