Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#21    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:43 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara
its a competiton for photography, not photoshop.
Same could be said about darkroom techniques. Didnt Ansel Adams rely heavily on the darkroom to perfect his pictures? :0)
  #22    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Photo Traveler
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Well then, get use to getting pissed.

Cuz it aint goin away.

Photographs can be taken for many different reasons and used many different ways. The way it is to be used, IMHO determines how much manipulation is accepteble.

A news photo to be used in news week.. exposure compensation, cropping thats about it.

An image I am producing as a creative art form, I will do what I want to get the image I am looking for.

Check out my Galleries at:

http://dehmphoto.smugmug.com
Sponsors
  #23    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
In a darkroom it takes a much longer time to manipulate an image than it does to do it in a digital darkroom. If you mess up you have to start again, its a little different, but its more like enhancement what ansel adams did if you ask me.

However annoying overmanipulation may be, Im not pissed at it, Im annoyed when it edges someone out who has taken a great shot, and then someone with their photoshopped mess comes along and wins in a photographic contest.
  #24    Top
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
As you can tell I am a fan of that age of photography, one in which I dont think we will ever see again. Can you think of any publication that would publish work like that today? Let me know if you do! Is it photography that is crumbling, or is it the editors who select the pictures we see? We could go on for days!
Mark, have you ever heard of Lenswork?
I think you would greatly enjoy it. It comes out every other month, and it's a bit expensive ($10 per copy), but there are no equipment reviews to wade through, no photoshop how-to's, etc. It's all about the photographic process, about why we make photographs. It includes articles, interviews, and some beautiful portfolios in each issue. They put up a pdf format downloadable sample of each issue.
Give them a try.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #25    Top
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Junior VIP Member
Drlynn.
Thanks for the info. I had not heard of that publication. It sounds good, I'll pick one up this weekend.
Cheers,
Mark.
http://www.west1photo.zoomshare.com
http://www.thelondoner.ca
  #26    Top
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Senior VIP Member
I'm going to totally contradict what has been said here!
The camera never lies - it always does tell the truth. It presents the reality of what is set before it -the truth.

What might be a lie is the story that goes with the photograph - and that is written words.
  #27    Top
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Senior VIP Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara
I think that basic enhancement in photoshop is acceptable. Slight cropping, levels, saturation to make your photo the best it can be. Now when you take a photo of a dog, and it ends up looking like a horse with wings, then i have a problem, its a competiton for photography, not photoshop.
If we are talking about a PHOTO competition then I would say anything obtained out of camera should be banned. The Art after all is to capture the image in camera. Therefore shouldn't programmes such as photoshop not be allowed at all where photo competitions are conserned? Should the photoshopped improvement be allowed to beat the in camera shot in a competition?

But what of photoshop itself?
To my mind it just another art tool - Why shouldn't a subject lend itself to become another? Art is creative.
The early photographers were very much frowned upon by the canvas painters - it just wasn't art.
Are photographers now doing exactly the same thing with a frown on the art of computer graphics? Of which Photoshop is just one tool.
  #28    Top
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Junior VIP Member
Is photography crumbling? that is the question there is one certanty in the world and that is "the times they are a changin" can we go back, no i don't think so , will things come full circle , it's not possible , i believe that photography is what we want to believe we see and then taking a little slice of time out so that others can see what we see, for the longest time i thought my first expensive camera was the best in the world and little did i know that some of my best pics came from a disposible .... anyways enough rambling from the new guy ... i just wanted to puts some thoughts out ... the answer i was meaning to get out never in a million years will our sport die out digital or other wise and there will allways be the guys out there that love them old ones L8r
  #29    Top
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Can you think of any publication that would publish work like that today? Let me know if you do! Is it photography that is crumbling, or is it the editors who select the pictures we see?
Well, that really opens the question of what the hell photography is, anyway. Everything from "straight" photo journalism to family vacation snaps.

I think in the big scheme of humans recording history and then giving it a little spin the photograph is fairly new. People (once again) are just getting used to not believing everthing they see and they're still a little pissed that the photo of "Bat Boy" in the Weekly World News might have been touched up.

The point being that we seem to be in an era of people shouting "Not Fair!" much the way that Henry the 8th must have felt when he got a good look at Anne of Cleves and realized that she looked nothing like the painting.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News