off camera flash unit - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:58 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason
off camera flash unit

Hi, I was wondering, if someone could point me in the right direction, give advice.

I would like to purchase an off camera flash transmitter/receiver unit, but really don't know what I'm looking for.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, as I can't see myself use it often (don't tend to work with flash that much), but don't want the most basic either. I have a Canon Speedlite 580 EXII, so whatever I get I'd like it to be fully functional with ETTL.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post your work in the Photo Sharing Corner, if you Just want general comments/to share. Post in the Critiques & Feedback Corner, if you want more in depth comments. And don't forget - others would like to hear from you, too. :o)

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #2    Top
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
Premiere Member
Re: off camera flash unit

I'm guessing the cheapest for ETTL would probably be the Canon ST-E2. I've read from those on both sides of the fence on this product, they either love it or hate it. But where budget is a concern I can't see how you could really go wrong so long as your willing to accept it limitations.

Good luck.
  #3    Top
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: off camera flash unit

Your cheapest way would be to use your existing unit on a cord or mounted as the master unit and buy a second ETTL unit as the slave. You can likely find used 500 or 400 series units fairly reasonable.

xmitter/receiver for ETTL aren't inexpensive. I use one from Alien, but it doesn't support ETTL.

ST-E2 -- had one, sold it. Slave unit makes much more sense at a more reasonable price in the end.

I don't know if you're updating your camera any time soon, but the 7D's built in unit can act as the master. May be true on on the 60D, as well.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting