So You Want to Start a Photography Business: What's in a Name? - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#2    Top
Old January 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Re: So You Want to Start a Photography Business: What's in a Name?

interesting
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Recent Photo: My Grandson
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I guess sharnaleephotography is one of those complex names huh? hahaha Oh well, most people figure it out.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #4    Top
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Interesting article.
  #5    Top
Old April 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: DSC03634a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharna View Post
I guess sharnaleephotography is one of those complex names huh? hahaha Oh well, most people figure it out.
That's what business cards are for. And I hand out ones that are 4x6 at the art fairs so they stand out amongst the "regular" ones in people's bags.
  #6    Top
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Where I live, if you start a business with your last name in it (and the service you do), you don't need a business license ($$), you don't have to file a "fictitious business name statement ($$$), and you don't have to advertise your fictitious business name statement in the local papers ($). You *do* have to do all of those things (and renew the business license annually) if you make up a name.

Guess what I did?

Yep -- Paul LeFevre Photography. Hey, I'm cheap, and it works.

Paul
  #7    Top
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: xmaslightsDSC_4005
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

That is true unless you live in the unincorporated district
  #8    Top
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
That is true unless you live in the unincorporated district
Actually, I *do* live in an unincorporated area -- and that's the case. It's not the case in many of the incorporated cities around me, most of which require a business license no matter what

Paul
  #9    Top
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Spammer

Wow ! That's really interesting. The business profile is latest in trend and it's really prosperous. I loved d idea of photography business. By d way there are professional, wildlife, fashion or others photographers. Which photography business are you starting? Is the investment is too high for your business! Can you please suggest!
  #10    Top
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: xmaslightsDSC_4005
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroImager View Post
Actually, I *do* live in an unincorporated area -- and that's the case. It's not the case in many of the incorporated cities around me, most of which require a business license no matter what

Paul
Its my understanding that all of my transactional income derived from smugmug occurs in my locale and not where the event is shot.