Touch up question - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Touch up question

So, I do mainly architecture and landscape photography (as I am sure most can guess by what I do post when I do), but am looking to start photoing more people. As far as processing, I mainly use ACDSee and occasionally Gimp (mainly for just a quick crop and auto-color-correct). I also have the included software for my Canon. A quick glance doesn't show me what I am going to ask other than maybe using the clone tool, but does anyone know if any of these has the ability to get rid of blemishes and whatnot off faces? Or is there a cheap (read as free, or at least free trial) of software I could use to do that? A quick search through the threads here didn't bring up anything for me either, unless I looked right at it and didn't see what I was looking for. Thanks in advance.
  #2    Top
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Touch up question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fulton View Post
So, I do mainly architecture and landscape photography (as I am sure most can guess by what I do post when I do), but am looking to start photoing more people. As far as processing, I mainly use ACDSee and occasionally Gimp (mainly for just a quick crop and auto-color-correct). I also have the included software for my Canon. A quick glance doesn't show me what I am going to ask other than maybe using the clone tool, but does anyone know if any of these has the ability to get rid of blemishes and whatnot off faces? Or is there a cheap (read as free, or at least free trial) of software I could use to do that? A quick search through the threads here didn't bring up anything for me either, unless I looked right at it and didn't see what I was looking for. Thanks in advance.
Any software that offers cloning as one of it's tool set should do ya, Chris. I know Gimp does. Can't speak for ACDSee or the Canon stuff as I don't use it.
http://toths.us/GJT
Matthew 25:31-46
Feel free to comment/critique my images.
  #3    Top
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Any software that offers cloning as one of it's tool set should do ya, Chris. I know Gimp does. Can't speak for ACDSee or the Canon stuff as I don't use it.
Thanks. Will have to sit down with what few "people" photos I have and play around a little. Figured clone tool would do it, just wasn't sure if there was something better in the "usual bag of tricks."
  #4    Top
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Chris,

1. In the fix blemishes category I prefer the Healing Brush tool in Photoshop (PS) or Photoshop Elements (PSE) over the clone tool. One of the reasons so many photographers have purchased PS or PSE is because of the wide variety of tools available to accomplish so many tasks. Adobe used to offer free trial versions of PS and PSE, but it has been so long since I checked that I don't know if they still do.

2. I believe there are several PS/PSE plugins, at least some of which may also work with other image editing software, to better automate the "fix blemish" task, but as far as I know they all cost. You would have to check to see if any specific plugin will work with your software and whether you can download a free trial.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #5    Top
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABaker View Post
Chris,

1. In the fix blemishes category I prefer the Healing Brush tool in Photoshop (PS) or Photoshop Elements (PSE) over the clone tool. One of the reasons so many photographers have purchased PS or PSE is because of the wide variety of tools available to accomplish so many tasks. Adobe used to offer free trial versions of PS and PSE, but it has been so long since I checked that I don't know if they still do.

2. I believe there are several PS/PSE plugins, at least some of which may also work with other image editing software, to better automate the "fix blemish" task, but as far as I know they all cost. You would have to check to see if any specific plugin will work with your software and whether you can download a free trial.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
Thanks. I'll look into it.
  #6    Top
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Recent Photo: La Jolla Covetx400
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Adobe offers 30day trials for its produce (PS, PSE and LR) the healing brush is definitely better than the clone to for dealing with blemishes.

I have not used Gimp for a while but 2.6 has a healing tool which should perform the same functionality. It looks like an x made of bandaids in the toolbox.
  #7    Top
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Photo Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Adobe offers 30day trials for its produce (PS, PSE and LR) the healing brush is definitely better than the clone to for dealing with blemishes.

I have not used Gimp for a while but 2.6 has a healing tool which should perform the same functionality. It looks like an x made of bandaids in the toolbox.
Thanks for the Gimp info. Am playing with it as we speak. May have to look more into some Adobe products.
  #8    Top
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:23 PM
Recent Photo: Super_Moon

I am a Gimp user and use both the healing tool and smudge tool. Although, you do have to be very careful using the smudge tool because if you over-do it, it can make the skin look very unnatural. When I use the smudge tool on skin, I usually set the opacity on about 15-20% and use a circle fuzzy brush so that it blends well (go in a circular motion). I've been doing that for quite some time now and always receive a good response! Also if you're new to gimp, search the internet for free scripts! There are some great ones out there. I have my gimp stocked! It can be a little frustrating at first figuring out how to get them loaded into the right folders, but is completely worth the time!
Anissa
  #9    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Photo Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myjhisluvd View Post
I am a Gimp user and use both the healing tool and smudge tool. Although, you do have to be very careful using the smudge tool because if you over-do it, it can make the skin look very unnatural. When I use the smudge tool on skin, I usually set the opacity on about 15-20% and use a circle fuzzy brush so that it blends well (go in a circular motion). I've been doing that for quite some time now and always receive a good response! Also if you're new to gimp, search the internet for free scripts! There are some great ones out there. I have my gimp stocked! It can be a little frustrating at first figuring out how to get them loaded into the right folders, but is completely worth the time!
Anissa
Thanks for the info. WIll have to play around with it more.