First event photography job! - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Recent Photo: DSC0096_Adjustments_
First event photography job!

Hi All,

I am a newbie and have just joined 'The Corner'.

I am a keen student and amateur and am trying to get as much practice as I can in the genres of photography I find most interesting at the moment which are equine, pets and event photography.

I already do some event photography for Macmillan Cancer Support whom I am a volunteer for anyway, at their walks and fund raising events, but to try and increase the different types of events to practice at I have also volunteered my services for free for local charities and charitable organisations.

I received my first enquiry on Tuesday to do shoot for a local charity at a local hotel in June. I am so excited and am meeting them in May to go through the programme for the day and to ensure that I understand what they want and discuss with them whether I think I can deliver that with my experience (they know I am a student).

So my question is please, are there a couple of pieces of advice you could give me as to the challenges for event photography particularly indoors and perhaps some suggestions for lenses please? I don't have an off camera flash at the moment, but I will buy one before this event.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, any advice or guidance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne
  #2    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Recent Photo: La Jolla Covetx400
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: First event photography job!

First and foremost:

Who is the customer for the event you are shooting: event promoter or attendees.
Is this a paid engagement?
Once you have answered the first what are the expectations:
Are you setting up a booth for individual shot, or taking random shots in and around the event?
If the event involves action:
You will want fast lenses both in terms of ability to focus and ability to work in low light.
You will need an understanding of the specific activity to know what to shoot.

For instance. I shoot canine sporting events and my customers are the dog handlers with the occasional request from the hosting club for shots for their website.

Early next month I am volunteering to shoot our local humane society's walk for animals event. I will be shooting dogs, people and dogs based on the individuals needs but providing all work to the sponsor (SDHS) for distribution.

Make sure you are shooting what your intended customer wants. Ask before using any flash photography. Flashes can be distracting to those engaged in action.

That's all I can think of for now.
  #3    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Hi agiledogs,

No payment or expenses, it is very close to me anyway and I just want the experience.

It is an awareness event to get young people, particularly young women interested in the sciences, so although I won't know the exact set up yet, I imagine it will be a place with speakers, stands and lots of people moving around talking etc?

I have a 50mm f/1.4 prim lens would that be suitable? I also have a Nikkor kit 18-mm 3.6-5.6 and 70-300mm 1.4-5.6?

Thanks for the point about the flash, wouldn't have thought about that until it was too late probably!

I would imagine it will be quite dark, but when I meet the organisers on the 15th May I will be able judge that I suppose?

Thanks again for your advice, and good luck with your shoot, it sounds really interesting. It's not anywhere near Hampshire is it?

Take care and thanks again. Lynne
  #4    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

San Diego....

The nifty 50 should do nicely. You should also ask about tripods.
  #5    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Hi agiledogs, Hampshire to San Diego is rather a long way to watch you work

Thanks again, I think I will start a list to go through with them! I am glad you said the 50mm as I haven't had much practice with it yet, so this will be it's big outing for me!

Take care and many thanks again and have a good day.

Lynne
  #6    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM

One thing to keep in mind on the 50 1.4...at the wide apertures your DOF is very very thin so choose your focal point carefully.
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:15 AM

Thanks again agiledogs, I will practice with it quite a bit before then, and take the 70-300mm as well I think.

Have a good day. Lynne
  #8    Top
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

I think you're going about this the right way. You are being honest with your clients, getting great experience doing what interests you while helping good causes. Excellent for you. The money will come later.

In the times that I have done "event" photography, I have found out that people tend to like the candid shots much more than the the posed ones. So, my advice to you is to be mobile in the event and catch people who are doing their thing, and not paying any attention to you.

Good luck with this!

Cordially,

Mark Lent
  #9    Top
Old April 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Adding to what Mark says, speak to the organizer about the "A" list - that is, the people that will be attending that should be sure to appear in some photos about the event. The organizer might be able to have someone walk around with you for some of the time and point out some of those VIP types. Candid shots really are the way to go whenever possible at an event like this. The 50mm lens is a wonderful lens, but if you could also get your hands on something just a little longer it might help to get some of those candid shots without getting in people's faces.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #10    Top
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:13 AM

Hi Mark and Mario, many thanks for the advice, I have added those to my list for our 'walk through' on the 15th May.

I love the work of photographers such as Henry Cartier-Resson and Diane Arubus, the street and semi posed portraits, so it will be interesting for me to try to get a few of those during the event.

Thanks again guys.

Lynne
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101