One on one photography lessons- - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:50 AM
One on one photography lessons-

Would there be a market for one on one photography tutoring? If someone could offer beginner/intermediate photographers a lot of very useful information in a couple of hours hands-on spending some time out shooting, versus them taking classes or trying to learn from books etc, would that be of value?
I'd be interested to hear whether newer photographers would be willing to pay for such a service- if someone could show you how to use all the features of your camera, how to get great shots with any camera, how to compose, create special effects, exposure techniques, tricks and tips, travel shooting etc, would this be worth paying for?

Thank you for your answers.
  #2    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: One on one photography lessons-

Having started serious photography a long time ago I'm not a newbie. But when I was, I would have loved to have had someone to go to one on one. Of course in those days I couldn't have afforded to pay for it, but if I had had the money, I'd rather have had one on one instuction than spend the money on a class. So, yes, I think there could be a market for it.
  #3    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
SITE ADMIN
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I would think there would be a market for this - probably even more so if you met them at their house. The problem will be marketing such a service, I would think... it would have to be built mainly on reputation, I would think...
  #4    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:28 PM
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I would think a lot of people would be interested. There are sever people in my mommy group who take classes taught by their local child photographers. I would probably even pay for help with a few things I struggle with.
  #5    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:13 AM
Recent Photo: DSC0096_Adjustments_

Hello, sorry don't know your name, but wanted to reply.

I am a newbie and would love the opportunity of having 1to1 tuition, but as Mark said, I probably couldn't afford it!

I spent quite a bit of money on an online diploma, which has given me quite a bit of the theory but didn't give you the opportunity of having someone say 'do it like this or that'. I am currently two weeks into a local college course ( 6 weeks in total) and although quite a bit of it is going over the theory again, which is a good opportunity to ensure I understood it the first time! it is nice to be with other beginners and a tutor, to learn from.

But for me, I would prefer to get to a 'challenge' and then have the opportunity of going through the issues and learning on my own with someone, then practice that for a while etc. There is so much online people like me can use and courses etc, but for me I am a pragmatist and like to working things out practically, so personal lessons wold probably be the most beneficial for me, if I could afford them.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, not sure if any of this is helpful, but wanted to contribute.

Best of luck with it if you do go ahead, I am sure you will do well.

Lynne
  #6    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I think there would be a market for it (just like there is for personal training at the gym).
Like others said, marketing and pricing would be big issues with starting such a venue.

I think the good thing about a group training is that since you meet more like minded people you have more opportunities to learn from one another (plus you can make new friends - an added bonus )

Save A Dolphin
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

One way to keep the cost down would to offer small group instruction in addition to one on one. I would try to keep the cost down at first to build up business. If it starts to take off you can slowly raise the price.

A cheap way to publicize your service would be hand out flyers or put them on car windshields. I'd look for areas near day care centers, preschools, and playgrounds. Near a high school, camera store, or Best Buy would be good too. Look into Angie's List also.

If there is a camera store in your area see if you can make an arrangement with the manager.
  #8    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: xmaslightsDSC_4005
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I think there is a market for 1 on1 or small seminar instruction but much will depend on your pricing structure as to who you will attract between people who want to get better in general to those budding professionals out there.

The second factor in pricing would be your skills and reputation in your area for your photographic work.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101