Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Recent Photo: Two chicks
Unknown bird

Can anyone help me identify this bird. I thought it might be a rail but I am not sure. I took the photo in Alexandria, VA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown bird.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	859.2 KB
ID:	88357  
  #2    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Unknown bird

I beleive its called a green heron. I know its in the heron family. Really nice shot.

Lisa Hebert
  #3    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:35 PM

Thank you Lisa. You are right. I just Googled green herons and there it is. I have a pair nesting in the tree right outside my house which is very exciting but so far too many leaves in the way to get any good shots.
  #4    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Ice_storm_3
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Nice shot. Looks like he's adding on to his nest.

"Let your words be few, and your exposures many."
  #5    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: soumen1
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Yup, a green heron. Lucky you to have a nest nearby. They're a relative rarity (very reclusive) around here and a very photogenic bird.
  #6    Top
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM

I have now got five chicks in the nest and found another nest with 5 chicks just a few yards away! If I can remember how to post a photo here, I will!
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals