printing images - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:27 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason
printing images

So, in 2009 I asked a question about printing sizes. I just read through it, but just wanted to ask something again. I obviously don't learn very fast.

I get that, shooting with a DSLR, I won't get the 'standard' sizes without some cropping issues.

So, someone just told me that in Photoshop (and I REALLY don't know much about Photoshop), I can just enter the desired size for printing in the 'image size', and that should sort out any issues I have.

So, does that mean that, if I want a canvas print of, say, 24x36, and they need 3 inches for a wrap-around canvas, I just have to enter a size of 27x39 inches, and then it'll show most of the photo on the front of the canvas (the rest on the edges), and all of the photo on the front if I want a solid colour border?

Hope I've explained that right.

Post your work in the Photo Sharing Corner, if you Just want general comments/to share. Post in the Critiques & Feedback Corner, if you want more in depth comments. And don't forget - others would like to hear from you, too. :o)

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #2    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: printing images

"So, someone just told me that in Photoshop (and I REALLY don't know much about Photoshop), I can just enter the desired size for printing in the 'image size', and that should sort out any issues I have."

Sabine,

It can be that easy if the print size is the same aspect ratio as your original image. Here is what I mean:

Most (but probably not all) DSLRs use an image ratio of 2:3. That is, the image is 2 "units" high and 3 "units" wide when in landscape orientation. Print sizes of 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, 16x24, 20x30, 24x36, etc., etc. are the same aspect ratio -- 2:3. So, for these size prints you can go into "Image Size" to specify the new size you want to print and nothing needs to be cropped and nothing will be distorted. (I am ignoring the potential downside of resizing an image file - too much of an increase in size can cause issues depending on how the image will be used and viewed. This is an issue for a completely different discussion.)

However, to print at other sizes that don't match the 2:3 aspect ratio of the original image, you must either crop the image or be willing to live with some image distortion. For instance, to print an 8x10 from an image with a 2:3 aspect ratio by simply entering the new print size in the "Image Size" dialog, all the image that should be contained in an 8x12 image will be "squished" into an 8x10. The 8-inch dimension will be fine, but the 10-inch dimension will show noticeable image compression. If you entered 8x8 into the Image Size dialog, the resulting image will have even more distortion. Whenever you want to print to an aspect ratio that differs from the original image, you must either crop the image to the same aspect ratio of your desired print or be willing to accept the resulting distortion.

I hope this helps rather than making things more confusing.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #3    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

If you are printing with the same aspect ratio as your camera sensor (be it 2:3, 4:3) I wouldn't worry about adjusting image size (unless you want to change the resolution). If you do want to change the aspect ratio, I'd recommend specifying the desired ratio (and resolution) wile cropping.

Save A Dolphin
  #4    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

Sabine,

Unless you have a 24" printer you are sending this out via the web to a photo service. You do not need to increase the size of your photo. Call them and they will tell you how to send them the photo and how they want it sized. For the size you mentioned they will need a 3:2 format, the entire photo, and then they will use their equipment to get it to the size needed for a wrap around and use a program similar to Genuine Fractals to increase the pixel count high enough to get the size needed without hurting the apparent resolution. If you are using a photo taken with a Full Frame camera with 18+MP they probably do not need to do anything to the photo aside from enlarging it to the proper size.

I have a 24x26" photo taken from a 4:3 format and it has the clarity of 9x8 photo that I made at home. Remember that the canvas will reduce some detail.

Lynn
  #5    Top
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:38 PM

What kind of images that are you printing means if you are looking for print the film rolls from the film cameras of old
model then i just want to say you that you cannot get the better result of your images because now the tren is
digital cameras and directly print out facility..
  #6    Top
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM

Hypothetically yes but for canvas printer or framer its near impossible to get that colour border to line up. You also tend to lose a bit of the effect if the image doesn't wrap around the edge
  #7    Top
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Banned

print on canvas then go and stretch it on a frame
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101