5DMkII or 7D - Page 3 - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#21    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: 5DMkII or 7D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems View Post
I read somewhere that there is an issue with light leakage, and the Canon have admitted that there is a problem. I guess that's a problem that should get sorted sooner rather than later, though.
Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images, from: Canon USA.

Your Sigma 10-22mm wide angle lens will not work on 5D.

It would be great, if you had a chance to try each for a day or two .

Save A Dolphin
  #22    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Recent Photo: My Grandson
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

KOT has a point. Why not rent one then the other for a few days or a week each so you can try them for yourself.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #23    Top
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

I'm going to have to check if there is somewhere near me where I could rent cameras. I know it would be the way to go. Thanks.

Post your work in the Photo Sharing Corner, if you Just want general comments/to share. Post in the Critiques & Feedback Corner, if you want more in depth comments. And don't forget - others would like to hear from you, too. :o)

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #24    Top
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

There is a saying, "Once you go to Full Frame you will never look back". I own a 40D and a 5D and when I go out the door I almost always grab the 5D. The "... almost" is when I am going out whale watching or shooting birds in flight. However when/if I get another 300mm f4 IS I will use it with a 1.4xTC on the 5D especially for the whales. For BIF I will still use the 40D. Now I have the original 5D not the 5DII. The 5DII is a better camera than what I have but I prefer the simplicity of the 5D. (simple mind )

With any of the 5D series you will get better results at higher ISOs, cleaner images out of the camera, easier processing, and outstanding detail. The 5DII as well as the 7D have a better LCD than my camera and both have more fps. The view through the view finder is much brighter with the full frame camera. The colors blend together better, in the case of things like flesh tones where there is a gradual change of color, and they can be made into larger prints without having to do special work by increasing file size. When using RAW and ACR your image processing may not require any other work in photoshop. This happens often for me. I also like the feel of the camera in my hand over the 20D and 40D. It feels more like a camera should. But then I had come from a fairly heavy 35mm film camera.

lrp
  #25    Top
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

This is a 100% crop. The original photo of the entire boat covered 3/4 the width of the frame. Notice the Red Cross on the first aid box inside the boat door. Photo taken using a 70-200 f4L IS @180mm.

I would post the original photo but I haven't figured out how to post more than one photo in a thread.

lrp
  #26    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM
The One and Only
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

Thanks all for your comments and advice. I think I'll be going to town on Saturday to have a look and feel of the cameras.

Post your work in the Photo Sharing Corner, if you Just want general comments/to share. Post in the Critiques & Feedback Corner, if you want more in depth comments. And don't forget - others would like to hear from you, too. :o)

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #27    Top
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Maidens View Post
The AF on the 5D MK II stinks, its really really bad. Lovely files, but the focus is horrible. The 7D is a nice camera if you're shooting sports and wildlife, I wouldn't use it if you're a landscape person or someone who doesn't intend on doing a lot of post processing for noise.

If you could swing it I'd think about a 5D MK III to be honest, best of both worlds. Incredible AF and full frame goodness.
Yup it's terrible, complete rubbish, as a matter of fact everyone that has one should just pitch it in the bin.

Someone should tell these guys.

College basketball and football.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremym...n/photostream/

Cycling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve55...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelspr...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joern86...n/photostream/

All these are from the Flickr 5DII group and searched for sports. It may not be the fastest focusing body out there, but like any other piece of kit you need to know how to use it properly to get the desired results.
  #28    Top
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Hey Christian

I own both a 7D and a 5D MKII, fairly certain I'm sure of the capabilities. 5D MK II produces lovely files but I'm not grabbing it when I go shoot what I like to shoot.

There are some rebates right now but nothing fantastic.
  #29    Top
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:54 PM
The One and Only

I actually ordered the 7D the other day, and can't wait to get it. I just couldn't afford the 5D MKIII.

#30    Top
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Good luck with your choice of the 7D! I'm sure you will really enjoy it.

Don't forget to post as soon as you can.

Find what you love and let it kill you.....

Charles Bukowski

Support My 2014 Pan Mass Challenge Ride to Cure Cancer

My Official Gear List
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)