Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Premiere Member
Ancient Pitigliano, Toscana by night

Had to stand in the middle of the street for this one- wasn't too crowded fortunately- wonderful place with little flea markets, small shops and great food! Trying to catch the atmosphere of the place, White balance set on automatic.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p 2011 07 24 Italy 07 30 DSC_0493 OK wm sm.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	88464  
  #2    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Mathey College
Re: Ancient Pitigliano, Toscana by night

I'm not sure if cars and garbage bins capture the atmosphere you were hoping for. Sorry, but this could be anywhere and doesn't make me wish I could be there.
When there are markets, shops, etc., you WANT to have people and action to give the viewer a feeling of being in the middle of something exciting. There is no hint of any of those things here.
  #3    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:24 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

I get what Lou is saying, but I like this shot. It might not show a lot, but I like the warm glow of the lights, and I imagine that the couple on the left is going for an evening stroll after their meal, before heading back to their hotel.

Post your work in the Photo Sharing Corner, if you Just want general comments/to share. Post in the Critiques & Feedback Corner, if you want more in depth comments. And don't forget - others would like to hear from you, too. :o)

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #4    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Senior VIP Member

I see Lou's point also, but I also like the shot, I think, after studying the scene a bit, I would have moved up the street maybe to the tree in the background. I know the composition would change a good bit but it would eliminate the garbage bins, and I think you would have still gotten the couple. All that said, it's a beautiful shot.

Joshua 1:9
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes."
--Dewitt Jones
Canon 7D gripped, 5D gripped; EF 50f1.8; EF 70-200f2.8L IS, EF 28-105, EF 17-40f4L; 580 EX; other stuff.
flickr
www.southpaw-photography.com
  #5    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Although I like the lighting and the general scene, my eyes keep going over to those dumpsters.
http://toths.us/GJT
Matthew 25:31-46
Feel free to comment/critique my images.
  #6    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:01 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I'm in agreement with the first comment. This image just doesn't move me as a viewer. It just feels like a snapshot memory.
  #7    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'm in total agreement with Lou and ohenry about the garbage bins.The cars don't bug me that much (however, it would be a better image if they weren't there, of if more people were there instead the cars).

Save A Dolphin
  #8    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Premiere Member

Thank you all- for very good comments!! Now I'm looking at it a bit differently! Yes the dumpsters do stand out although I didn't notice them so much at the time.) Good point about moving up the street a little toward the tree.... I was trying to include the wine shop on the right, include a car coming down the street (it's a bit empty on the left, so need a focus point). Have to observe the entire scene more..... also a balancing act between slow shutter speed and low ISO (and too much camera + subject motion) versus faster shutter speed, probably shallow DOF and a lot of grain. Decided to go for the first. Still the couple on the left comes through. Thanks !
Sponsors
  #9    Top
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Here's a thought - crop it more or less square by chopping off everything to the left of the man's left arm. There is just enough room there between his left side and the edge of that last bin. That would give you the couple sort of walking into the frame, and you still get all of the archway. You could also probably chop a bit off the bottom.

I really like the colors and the exposure, by the way.

My SmugMug photo galleries: http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/
  #10    Top
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
Here's a thought - crop it more or less square by chopping off everything to the left of the man's left arm. There is just enough room there between his left side and the edge of that last bin. That would give you the couple sort of walking into the frame, and you still get all of the archway. You could also probably chop a bit off the bottom.

I really like the colors and the exposure, by the way.
Thank you!! That's an idea!!! Here's the result:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p 2011 07 24 Italy 07 30 DSC_0493 OK wm sm cr.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	88712  
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes