Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:17 AM
No money! Need gear!But can I trust Tinydeal !

I have been holding out to purchase a full frame camera. Currently I am shooting with a 20D (Canon) and yes that old piece of metal and plastic, antique kit. This is very frustrating (autofocus sucks, really sucks, viewfinder is crap and it's down right noisy (both sound and sensor above 200). I am getting a little impatient here and considering purchasing a crop factor camera to hold me until I can afford a full frame. Is this a wise decision? Or am I just getting really frustrated with my 20D?

Right now a friend has a 5D mkII that I borrow/rent occasionally but I can only get it if he is not using it.(So limitations again). and getting a taste of 5d mkii is really spoiling me. now I just made my mind to buy one telephoto lens just to take some landscape or wildlife photos ! I just goolged and one sales page of tinydeal comes up, they are selling the lens at dirt cheap price with free shipping ! do any dear fellows here know about this website and is it trustworthy?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: No money! Need gear!But can I trust Tinydeal !

I generally check out any online seller with ResellerRatings.com. I usually look for a seller with lots of reviews and a rating of at least 9 (out of a possible 10). Unfortunately, lots of sellers will enter fake ratings to attempt to suck in unsuspecting buyers - so I tend to ignore ratings if there are less than a few hundred reports (preferably several thousand).

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #3    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: roots1
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I think I would stick with KEH or B&H for used photo equipment. Great prices good quality.
Bill H.
  #4    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Resellar Ratings is the place to start for sure.

By reading the reviews one can easily spot which places are going to be trouble. If a deal is too good to be true it usually is.

This vendor would have me very skeptical. First, it appears they are located in China or a a wholesaler for Chinese firms. Next, all of the negative reviews mainly revolve around refunds and items that did not ship (or weren't shipped or received). People are waiting 4, 5, 6 month's and longer without ever having issues taken care of or offers to give 1/2 of their money back, etc. Red flag goes up right there.

All of the glowing reviews are also suspect. Those reviews do not list any specific items that were purchased, rather a "I bought a bunch of stuff from XXX and had no issues"..... Several reviews are by the same person, again not saying what they bought but rather a generic "I got a great deal".

YMMV but if it were my money I'd stick to the big guys, B&H, Adorama, Calumet, etc. Also, check out the Photography Deals thread located towards the bottom of the forums. You may come across some good deals in there as well.

Find what you love and let it kill you.....

Charles Bukowski

My Official Gear List

Last edited by Sasquatch; May 8th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
  #5    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: White-crowned Sp
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'm a longtime user of a 20D, having bought a 5D II just a few months ago. Its still my backup. While it may not have all of the cutting edge features/specs of the newest cameras, is it really limiting your photography? Or have you fallen prey to the Madison Avenue drums that "you need more"? Would you be better off puting the same amount of money in lenses or other photo gear instead? The life of a good lens is usually many times that of the "newest" camera!
  #6    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Hey. If you want to upgrade, fine. I bought a lot of used refurbished stuff from Adorama. Never any problem.
But really; the 20D I have is my first DSLR. It is not crappy viewfinder, autofocus is superb, noise is easily manageable up tp ISO 1600.
I'm afraid that if you have such miserable experiennce with the 20D, then maybe you should think about lenses, or even simpler; your shooting method.