Arches Landscape - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Premiere Member
Arches Landscape

Something is missing in this picture and I am not quite sure what it is. I don't know if I have too much sky, if I should add some boost to the colors of the sky and/or rocks. Help!

The picture was taken in Arches National Park, Utah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0089_6279b-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	882.2 KB
ID:	88477  
  #2    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Arches Landscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmorgan66 View Post
Something is missing in this picture and I am not quite sure what it is. I don't know if I have too much sky, if I should add some boost to the colors of the sky and/or rocks. Help!

The picture was taken in Arches National Park, Utah.
Great shot, I think you nailed it though, a bit too much sky for my taste. The colors look fine and the detail is also good. Maybe cropping to a panorama may help.

Find what you love and let it kill you.....

Charles Bukowski

Support My 2014 Pan Mass Challenge Ride to Cure Cancer

My Official Gear List
  #3    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I don't find that the sky adds much to the image at all and that is likely what is bothering your eye, as well. There's also a stark contrast between the rich, bold red of the rock formation against the bleakness of the snow and sky behind them that tends to give the eyes some tension. Perhaps less sky would focus the viewer's eyes more on the subject. Only way to tell for yourself would be to play with your crop tool and see what works and what doesn't. You might also try increasing some contrast in the sky and snow areas to give a bit more definition to those areas.
  #4    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Heather Meadows 5
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I agree with others that a crop of some of the top would lessen the relatively featureless sky and elevate the rocks to a more prominent position. It was also remove the 2 large dust goobies you have on the upper right!

Re the boosting of colors, I'd absolutely recommend at NOT doing that...they appear to be quite saturated as is. You might consider a 2nd layer and adding a black to transparent gradient blended in using Soft Light and a lowered opacity setting, positioned over the sky (black).
  #5    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

I second (third, fourth...) that there is indeed too much sky, and like Russ said, cropping would also get rid of the dust specks. The rocks are probably fine as they are (maybe need very minor sharpening), but the background mountains and the sky do have a tint from the haze, which you may try to get rid of with some levels adjustments.

My Smugmug
  #6    Top
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Premiere Member

The basic shot is certainly good!! No I would not boost the browns- these are pretty bright already. Sky a bit lacking in detail, so could perhaps crop some of it out, or reduce the sky highlights to bring out any existing detail. Perhaps moving in closer to one ot two of the sharpest rocky outcroppings, placing that in the forground and including a slightly out-of-focus snow covered mountain in the background to add depth? You have a lot to work with here- need to play around a bit.......... Rob
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

there's nothing wrong with the color or contrast. i think what's bothering you is that the dividing line between the darker, more colorful landscape and the bland sky is smack in the middle of the image, vertically. it's too centered. as has been mentioned, since the sky doesn't really contain much of interest, you could easily crop about half of it out. depending on the size and formatting of the original image, this could be cropped to produce a very pleasing 2:1 panoramic image...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #8    Top
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Premiere Member

[quote=Russ;734342]I agree with others that a crop of some of the top would lessen the relatively featureless sky and elevate the rocks to a more prominent position. It was also remove the 2 large dust goobies you have on the upper right!

Good eye! I didn't even see the dust "goobies."
  #9    Top
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Premiere Member

I took the comments to heart and cropped to a panoramic view. Taking out part of the dull, lifeless sky helped quite a bit.

I may have broken a few composition rules in the process, but I like the image a lot better.

Thanks everybody for the comments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0089_6279b_edited-1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	763.1 KB
ID:	88487  
  #10    Top
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I think it looks a lot better like this and without as much sky, the sky doesn't fight for the eye's attention like it did before. Well done.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes