D800 tests - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: TR's Joint
D800 tests

At dpreview are quite interesting, but don't seem to comport very well with the DXO tests as usual. To my eyes it looks like the noise is roughly the same as the D7000 up to about 800 iso, and better after that. The comparison with Canons new 5DMKlll shows it has slightly more detail, but also noticeably more noise at higher iso's. As a result I'm now understanding the D4 better, and thinking if it were me I'd trade the extra resolution for the D4's squeaky clean images.

Anyway, If you get a chance check the noise tests out, and let me know if your eyes agree with mine in this evaluation.pith

P.S Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, I was looking at the raw images with nr turned off.
  #2    Top
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: In the Shade
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: D800 tests

Hey Pith, go to Fred Miranda.com and take a look at the D800 images being posted, It is really quite a camera...
Bill H.
  #3    Top
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Premiere Member

Went to Fred's but couldn't find anything on d800, Where bouts do I look?pith
  #4    Top
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: In the Shade
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Hi Pith, when you get to the homepage go to the Jump to window and click on the Nikon Mount SLRs page. It is about 3/4 of the way down the window. All kinds of stuff on the D800. Try the D800 official image thread.
Bill H.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I thought the D800 performed extremely well against all the competition all the way to 6400, Pith. At that point, as much as it pains me, I thought the Mark III, with it's smaller pixel count starts, to outperform the D800, and by 25,600 by a large margin. I've also seen a comparison of the high ISO video performance (made by "pushing" the ISO in software), where the Mark III really outshines the D800.

I'm planning to buy the D800 for that awesome pixel count because it gives a lot more cropping options. However, as a night shooter, that same pixel count scares me a bit because of ISO. So far, the reviews have been positive, but I really want to see some more objective test results beyond the sponsored previews we've seen to date.

Tim

flickr Photostream
  #6    Top
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Premiere Member

Yeah, I'm giving some thought to the D800 in about a year or so, but I also want to see what the D400 turns out to be first. There's a rumor that the new D400 will be full frame without auto-focus. Appropriately enough you can find that rumor at Nikon Rumors.pith
  #7    Top
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I suppose it could be full frame, but I'd be shocked if it was MF only. Maybe they're giving it a microprism and/or split image focusing aid for when you do manual focus it. That would be useful on any DSLR.

Let's start our own rumor.
  #8    Top
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

As long as you're surfing Nikon Rumors, you might want to check out the rumors on the D600. I was pretty impressed how accurate their speculation was on the D800.

Tim

flickr Photostream
  #9    Top
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

If the D600 is the entry FX the D400 has to be DX.

There goes my rumor. Shot down before it even got started.
  #10    Top
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Elite Member

Pith I find it hard to believe you still put any credence in the DXO tests. They never go out of the lab and take a photo. I would rather see what users of the camera are getting from the camera in question. Now I was surprised that the 5D3 at 100 ISO wasn't as good as my 5D in both DR and noise whereas the D800 was even better. As for ISOs over 1600, that is rarified air and I need oxygen to use something like that. Instead I prefer a tripod and cable release.

As far as you thinking of jumping to the D4, when you can gather enough money, instead of the D800 the only thing I can say is that it is a lot smarter move than going from the D300 to the D7000. Now the move to the D4 will put you in the FF class which will bring on another dilemma, you will be kicking your own butt for not going to the D700 when you bought the D7000.

Goood luck on either choice.

lrp