Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Dragonfly
Gun positions revisited

Hi all, I have made a couple of return trips to the gun emplacement, and have a few more photos to share. There are several of the WWII structures on the headland, and I have had a look at several of them now. The first one - photos posted previously - I now think was a searchlight position, as it has channels in the cement floor along which a light could have been moved.

This is in comparison with what I know to be a gun position (there was a sign that said so!) and a different structure on the floor.

Further up the headland there is a gun position with a different structure:

It is 2 level, with a communication channel between the two levels inside. The entrance to the structure is protected by a man-made rock wall.

The structures are fascinating, and some of the brackets and timber surrounds still exist too. I am pretty sure some people from here could spend DAYS there!!

Sue
  #2    Top
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:20 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Gun positions revisited

This looks like a very interesting place to visit. Can you tell us where this place is.
  #3    Top
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:33 AM
Premiere Member

Hi Marty, this is at Pallarenda, which is a suburb of Townsville in northern Queensland, Australia. The emplacements are adjacent to an environmental park, as well as what was a Quarantine station and military hospital. Every time I go down there I see more, which might be as well, since I will never run out of things to photograph!! Shows, too, that as a beginner in photography, I am starting to 'see' as a photographer, which is good. Cheers, Sue
  #4    Top
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:32 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Ive always been fascinated with WWII memorabilia and to have access to site such as these would be a real treat !! I can just envision in my head what this must have been like back in its day, I do believe this is the first time Ive seen images like these on a forum, thank you for sharing these ,, I like #3 the best, what was that pole at the top there ? did this overlook a valley maybe ?
  #5    Top
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:44 AM
Premiere Member

Hi Jim, thank you. The pole is a telegraph pole - mixture of old and new. There is an air force radar tower/dome at the top of the hill behind this building. This gun position overlooks the sea, but it is the highest one of the structures that I have visited so far. The first one I shared in the previous thread was the lowest one, and probably only a couple of hundred metres walk from the shore, but not that much in height - maybe 60 metres at a guess. I have a photo of that one from the beach where I took the water shots, if you are interested. There a trail up a hill to several of the gun positions at different levels of the hill, but each overlooking the beach and Magnetic Island and the Port of Townsville at one side. I have a few shots, too, of the interiors, with the original reinforcement in the cement, screws in walls and timber is still in place. One of those cases that the more you look, the more you see, I think. I am happy to share more if people are interested! Sue
  #6    Top
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0tigger View Post
Hi Jim, thank you. The pole is a telegraph pole - mixture of old and new. There is an air force radar tower/dome at the top of the hill behind this building. This gun position overlooks the sea, but it is the highest one of the structures that I have visited so far. The first one I shared in the previous thread was the lowest one, and probably only a couple of hundred metres walk from the shore, but not that much in height - maybe 60 metres at a guess. I have a photo of that one from the beach where I took the water shots, if you are interested. There a trail up a hill to several of the gun positions at different levels of the hill, but each overlooking the beach and Magnetic Island and the Port of Townsville at one side. I have a few shots, too, of the interiors, with the original reinforcement in the cement, screws in walls and timber is still in place. One of those cases that the more you look, the more you see, I think. I am happy to share more if people are interested! Sue
Thank you for the info Sue, I would be interested in seeing any and all that you have to share with us
  #7    Top
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Premiere Member

No problem at all, Jim!! I'll post some more soon, then. It might be useful if I can post some sort of map, too, so it is easier to explain what I am talking about. I'll see what I can come up with. Sue
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places