Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Journey thru Time - Deja Vu: part 2 of 2

Part 1 dealt with my personal deja vu. This one deals with our country's pioneers. The Gilliam County (Oregon) Historical Society has a nice exhibit area adjacent to the Burns Park (where our reunion based) and rodeo/fairgrounds. You have to understand that this part of the country has a relatively young history relative to the east coast and especially Europe or other parts of the world. The Oregon Trial's period was from the 1830's to 1869 principally and the wagon rut remnants cross the plains just north of town.

It was getting "hotter than blazes" (upper 90's) and I had limited patience for dwelling on optimizing photo compositions....these are quickies!

All are SOOC, unprocessed other than resizing/cropping.

1. The Silas A Rice homestead apparently was built by he and his wife in 1884 from hand hewn logs. The home was dismantled and reconstructed on this site in 1986.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 32
ISO-800, f-8, 1/800 sec, polarizer, handheld

2. The upstairs access was cordoned off such that you could only ascend the stair enough to stick your head (and camera) barely above the floorboards...made a unique angle though. Note the bedpan!

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 24, fill flash
ISO-800, f-5.6, 1/5 sec, polarizer, handheld

3. And the other end of the upstairs showing a bathtub, ie "carry your own water" type!

ISO-800, f-5.6, 1/5 sec, polarizer, handheld

4. The downstairs. Note the low ceiling (6 1/2 - 7 ft at most). Photos are of the original residents.

ISO-800, f-5.6, 1/25 sec, polarizer, handheld

Here's a link to Part 1

Your comments and critique are always appreciated.
  #2    Top
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Journey thru Time - Deja Vu: part 2 of 2

Talk about challenging lighting, Russ! I'm impressed how nicely lit the room is, yet the window--while bright--isn't completely blown. I will also say the limitation to entering the upper room became an enabler to a unique view you might otherwise have not taken.

flickr Photostream
  #3    Top
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Ice_storm_3
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I really like the last image. Very Interesting place.

"Let your words be few, and your exposures many."
  #4    Top
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

what a cool old place !! I also like the low viewpoints on those bedrooms,, when you look at images like these, I cant help but wonder what times were like back in those days, a simpler time in some respects but Im sure it had very hard challenges as well,, thanks for sharing these Russ
I see the bed pan under the bed,, then a rusty bed post,, wonder how much the bed pan actually was used
  #5    Top
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I like viewing these old furnished log cabins. I can see the cabin was rebuilt because I doubt very seriously the original one had those nice sawmill cut ceiling joists. Jim, I don't see the bed pan but I know from experience at living my first years in a house with no running water nor electricity that the pot carried in every night was used much more than any bath tub.
The pot is needed only during the cold winter nights though.

Jerry
  #6    Top
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Tim, Rubina, Jim, & Jerry,

Thanks for your comments. I suspect that the pleasant nostalgia of living in such times and quarters quickly dissipate as the harsh realities set in!