Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Water Fountain
Help please on resolving this photo issue...

Any help on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Canon 20D with a 17-85mm lens. I have attached a Hoya UV filter and a polarizer lens also. Notice the original image, how I have the edging of the filters showing in all four corners of the photo, when zoomed out all the way.

Is the only way around this problem is to zoom in a bit before shooting? I have also noticed this edging showing up even with just the UV filter on...Any suggestions? Thank you for taking the time to view this.

This is the original:

This is my cropped version:

#2    Top
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Help please on resolving this photo issue...

@ 17mm you will probably not be able to avoid the vignetting, especially with both filters on. If you are using a polarizer filter, then you can take the UV filter off. This might help a bit. Also, don't know what kind of filter you are using but there are some low profile filters built for some of the wider angle lenses. These might be more expensive but could be something to look for. Though sometimes the vignetting just can't be avoided at the widest setting.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

yep, thats a typical problem with vignetting from your filter, especially noticeable at wide angles, if you have a polarizer on your lens, I would take off the UV filter, just use the polarizer, that will help ,, they sell "thin mount" filters that help with that,, I use a Canon 10-22 UWA lens and a thin mount Singh Ray filter which helps me eliminate that problem LOLOL I just noticed Mario told you basically the same exact thing I did LOL yep,, you dont need the UV filter especially since you have the polarizer on there, so get rid of that for now,, you can either zoom in a bit or fix it in your post processing,, which Ive done MANY times
  #4    Top
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Both Mario and Jim covered all options available. At least that I am aware of.

jessegrossphoto.wordpress.com
  #5    Top
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

The 1st thing I did after I received filters for my 20D and lenses (including the 17-85) was to test for vignetting: without any filters, w/ UV only, w/ CPL only, and w/ both*. I tested lenses at shortest and greatest focal lengths (if zooms) and at nearest focus and infinity. I was using slim or thin rimmed frames for the CPL's and found no noticeable vignetting over that present with no filters.....except in the extreme case of stacking 2 filters. As a general rule, you should never stack a CPL atop another filter....there is no advantage and several potential disadvantages. To do so is just being lazy. I can (and have) made exceptions when I'm in hostile environs and want to add a polarizer without exposing the naked lens by removing the UV or protective filter.

Given the relatively small amount of vignetting from stacking both filters, I'll assume with one OR the other you'll have no vignetting.

Re the vignetting with the UV filter, take a shot of the northern sky (blue) with NO filters and compare it with using either filters (but not both simultaneously). There MAY be a certain amount of vignetting with no filters.....you're looking for ADDITIONAL vignetting caused by filters or lens hood. Again, shoot widest aperture, near & far focus (manually) as that extends the lens where you'll most probably get vignetting if it exists.
  #6    Top
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Water Fountain

@JesseHD, Nikon_Mario...Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it a lot!

@Jaharris...lol...it's the thought that counts! I appreciate it nonetheless! Thank you!

I will try those suggestions and see what happens today. Going outside right now...hehehe to test!

@Russ--Great tip on testing using the sky...I suppose that is when I notice it the most in shots that have the sky...Thank you!