Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Pursuit

From the Cheetah Run
  #2    Top
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:49 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Pursuit

Zoomzoom! You need a good eye and quick reflexes to get such good results. Well done.
  #3    Top
Old March 31st, 2013, 04:19 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

thats an amazing pursuit series !! I hope it didnt get injured by the stakes in the last image very nicely done and something we dont see everyday here
  #4    Top
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:35 PM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Oh no it was fine. The Cheetah skidded to a stop to the side of the box area.

I have the full series of shots on ths run too (about 16 frames)...

Our Safari park runs the Cheetah's daily. This time of year though I thiink provides the best lighting.
  #5    Top
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Roses On Counter Top
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I plead guilty to wanting more of No. 2 I would love to see it as a full fledge "V". The body position and focus of the cheetah at speed with outstretched paws ready to latch onto its prey is primal. Well done series enjoyed them all...
  #6    Top
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

It must be quite the task to stay ahead of the acceleration and top end speed of a cheetah, ie the "puller". I wonder how they continue to keep the animal interested if it ends up in the box each time?

I'm impressed at how well the camera sustains focus lock at this speed. I do think the 1st several could be a bit brighter...and the grass less yellowish (although that can be a function of late, "warm" lighting). Was your heart beating as you envisioned this thing closing on YOU rather than the bait doll?
  #7    Top
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM

It's truly a breath taking event. As good as being on the bridge was there is another location I would much rather be....Down and a little left from where I was and about 10 yards closer to really get that its coming right at you look.

Once the Cheetah gets to the box the trainers blow a whistle and serve out a dish of fresh meat. so unless I was dowsed with meat juice I wouldn't be too worried

From the last time I shot this event they have set up a little differently in that the first run is away from the bridge. There is a side viewing area that looks potentially to have some great viewing, but you have to pay extra to get there.

If there is a second run, they run back to the bridge.

Last year both runs were to the bridge....Either way it is a magnificent spectacle to watch. The speed is incredible...this run was clocked at 65mph

The odd part of number 2 is the Cheetah had caught the lure and was "braking"

a couple more from the run

Did you know that a Cheetah claws do not retract...they are fixed like a dogs paw.
  #8    Top
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

amazing animals !!! how do they interact in an environment like that? does it respect their trainer ? do the handlers take any special precautions ? after all they are still considered a "wild animal"
  #9    Top
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:00 PM

One other thing Cheetahs are know for is that they are chickens. They actually have to get the lions in from their enclosure because the Cheetahs are afraid of them. When pressed with flight or fight a Cheetah will always choose flight.

The trainers have been working with them since they were kittens and they are very fond of their trainers. They are also bonded with a dog and kind of a mate that shows the area is safe to run..
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things