Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#161    Top
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:33 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Pet Peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornflakeGirl View Post
I used to keep a space heater under my desk at work for the summer. Or I'd step outside every couple of hours so I could thaw out. I was always so cold.
It's a constant challenge, between the wife and I. I freeze and she is burning up.
  #162    Top
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:44 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Spelling. I took some classes at Texas A&M, including creative writing. The first essay was typed up by my wife. She remarked that I had a lot of spelling, punctuation errors which she corrected.I did protest, but she has an ironclad argument. You are an Alien she said. I got the paper back; B minus. Just too many spelling and punctuation errors the professor jotted on the front.
  #163    Top
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:19 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by suci View Post
Spelling. I took some classes at Texas A&M, including creative writing. The first essay was typed up by my wife. She remarked that I had a lot of spelling, punctuation errors which she corrected.I did protest, but she has an ironclad argument. You are an Alien she said. I got the paper back; B minus. Just too many spelling and punctuation errors the professor jotted on the front.
Alien or not, Janos, you've got some of the best vocabulary and grammar on the web. All too many users of the English language make all too many errors simply because they can't be bothered to learn. Some of my (least) favorites: "I can't hardly wait," "I seen that," and "I shouldn't have did that."

More subtle (and, granted, harder to catch on the fly) is the old I versus me, rule: "That belongs to you and I" instead of "you and me." Of course there's the old, "Me and you are going home."

I know. I sound like a grammar snob. My dad didn't allow misuse, however, constantly correcting my siblings and me. We all hated it, but now I'm often complimented by my office colleagues on how smart I sound when I talk (making it no longer matter how smart I actually am).

flickr Photostream
  #164    Top
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjin_nav View Post
I know. I sound like a grammar snob. My dad didn't allow misuse, however, constantly correcting my siblings and me. We all hated it, but now I'm often complimented by my office colleagues on how smart I sound when I talk (making it no longer matter how smart I actually am).
Thanks Tim. I had to try harder. Maybe that is the reason my kids are fooled into thinking I'm smart. Seriously; I found some gems of funny phrases, where someone made an honest effort to spell a word correctly, not realizing that the word is just a colloquialism.
In the buy, sell, trade section of our County's Facebook page someone listed snow cone making appliances and the shack to house it, as "EVER THANG" one needs to start a business.
I guess that is phonics, Texas style..
  #165    Top
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Flower Seed Head
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjin_nav View Post
My dad didn't allow misuse, however, constantly correcting my siblings and me. We all hated it, but now I'm often complimented by my office colleagues on how smart I sound when I talk (making it no longer matter how smart I actually am).
My dad constantly corrected my grammar as well. And like you, I hated it. But now I have a three-year-old who speaks so well, she's been complemented on her grammar (seriously). Ha ha. Unlike you, though, I've been called a snob because of how I talk. Apparently, I've come across to some as too proper and formal. I have other thoughts on that, but that's for an entirely different discussion forum.

Another pet peeve is when people expect that because I'm a stay-at-home mom, my entire schedule is flexible, regardless of what plans I already have. I've had to start saying no to people because I've over-stretched myself. I'm not a push-over, but I do try to be accommodating when I can. Then there are people who will try to take advantage, and I have no choice but to disappoint them. It's a frustrating circumstance to be in.

"If you really want to hurt your parents, go into the arts."
-Kurt Vonnegut

My blog
My Facebook page
Connect with me on Twitter @nicoleannstpaul
  #166    Top
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:18 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

For all the Grammar nuts:

Hour sekratary kwit lest weak nd their's no thing too halp

......sign found on a dry cleaner known for making jokes...bad joke like a yale is a Swedish prison style jokes.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner