Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:11 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Mt Rainier - Part 3A: Edith Basin

Taken about 3 weeks ago at pretty much peak wildflower season at 5400 ft elevation of the Paradise area on Mt Rainier's southern flank. One of the short and thus primary visitor destinations is Edith Basin, a large bowl of relatively steep slopes on the western, northern, and eastern sides. On the south side it drops several hundred feet into Paradise Valley. Edith Creek (shown earlier, but lower) merges with Paradise Creek.

All are SOOC, resized with a few perhaps cropped. Some used GNDs (+2 or +3 most probably) that I'll stipulate to the degree that I can recall.

1. Its probably bad form to start a series with a flawed image....but it's to make a point. This was the best single shot compromise of perhaps 4 images (best merged in PP). I deemed it unadvisable to use a GND due to the deep U shape of the interface between darker ridgeline and bright mtn/sky. Irregular transitions between high contrast areas are GNDs nemesis.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 47
ISO-100, f-22, 1/8 sec
tripod, MLU, cable release

2. A straighter transition zone allows effective use of GNDs, angling the camera/lens up at a rather steep angle thru foreground alpine firs to Rainier's summit. This is a tough area for trees with an average of 60 ft of snowfall per year with occasionally upwards of 100 ft....growing seasons are short between snow meltout and the start of another winter.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 35
ISO-100, f-22, 1/3 sec, GND

3. A vertical representation of Edith Creek. Right behind me it drops 72 ft as Myrtle Falls and tumbles yet lower into Edith Creek Gorge.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 47
ISO-100, f-22, 1/6 sec, GND

4. The more classical landscape orientation of Edith Creek draining Edith Basin at about 4:25 PM.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 32

5. A little further along the trail, a view up the steep slopes covered in pink heather, lupine, Sitka Valerian, Paintbrush, etc wildflowers.....oh yeah, there's a snow covered mountain as a backdrop!

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 28

6. Its tough to convey the magnitude and sheer mass of Rainier in an 8-10" photo, especially using a wide angle lens pointed up. Here's a snippet of it near its SE edge showing Gibraltar (right) and Nisqually Cleaver (vertical rock) separating 2 glaciers.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 105
ISO-100, f-22, 1/13 sec

7. A large patch of what I'd call Sitka Valerian (white) with Lupine and others mixed in.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 50
ISO-100, f-22, 1/8 sec, GND

8a. I waffled mightily as to which of these 2 to show....so I'm showing both and you can decide. Another upslope shot across wildflower meadows of heather, lupine, and paintbrush, etc. This one is positioned slightly lower (ie mtn peak high in the frame).

ISO-100, f-22, 1/5 sec, GND

8b. ...and this one has a bit more "headroom", but it shifts the focus on elements subtly. Which (8a or 8b) do you prefer?

ISO-100, f-22, 1/5 sec, GND

As always, any comments and/or critique are appreciated.
  #2    Top
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Mt Rainier - Part 3A: Edith Basin

what can ya say about beauty like this !!! man,, I envy you !! to stand and take sites like this in in person has to be awe inspiring !! all of them are very well executed Russ,, I certainly can tell the ones you used a GND filter on and I don't blame you for doing so but as Tim had stated in another one of your threads, LR makes it SO easy to add one in PP and you can adjust it accordingly !! I wish you would have a look at LR you stubborn ol coot
I gotta tell you MR Russ,,, these are ALL beautiful but for me #4 is the winner,, flowing water nicely anchored at the bottom with all that beauty above,, that one does it for me,, again, they are all absolutely beautiful,, but the addition of flowing water is the "icing on the cake "
  #3    Top
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Parakeets
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Love them.
  #4    Top
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Flower Seed Head
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

#3 is just beautiful. That one really stood out to me. It's almost like a scene from a fairy tale.

"If you really want to hurt your parents, go into the arts."
-Kurt Vonnegut

My blog
My Facebook page
Connect with me on Twitter @nicoleannstpaul
  #5    Top
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Account Disabled
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Jim, Soumen, & Nicole,

Thanks for viewing & commenting....always appreciated.
  #6    Top
Old September 7th, 2013, 03:50 AM

Beautiful landscapes... oh... so nice...
  #7    Top
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

Jedna, thanks for commenting.
  #8    Top
Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Jim beat me to it (not hard, given I'm so far behind commenting), but number 4 is the strongest of a strong bunch. I like the wide format, how it's balanced between the mountain and the stream, and how you allow the stream to become a line leading into the frame. You controlled the shadows and highlights well.

I agree that number one is technically faulty. We sure do spend a lot of time complaining about blown highlights. I will remind you that white clouds are...well...white. Oh, and so is snow! I like in this shot how you balance the peak with the foreground flowers. In this shot, the flowers are brighter and balance the shot better. Like Jim said, in LR you could expose for the skies, then lighten the foreground using a variety of methods. Still, all in good time.

As for 8, I think I prefer 8b with a bit more breathing room. Unfortunately, I also note a couple of bits of sensor dust in a few of these.

flickr Photostream
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places