Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:02 PM
Photography Anchorman
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Just Say No to Exposure Compensation in Manual Exposure Mode

Exposure Compensation and manual exposure mode are two great things that don't taste great together. Both give you improved control over exposure, but try to use both at the same time and you'll be in for a surprise....

Read More...
  #2    Top
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Just Say No to Exposure Compensation in Manual Exposure Mode

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think you could set exposure compensation in manual mode with Canon camera's........????

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #3    Top
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

You are right John, and the author even relates, (towards the end of the article), that It won't have any effect on final exposure. But like most of these articles, it's irrelevant information.
If you shoot in manual, it is for the very reason that you want to have control over both shutter speed and aperture. You can use either setting to then control exposure. You don't need exposure compensation.
I also have a problem with this statement.
Quote:
This seems straightforward in concept, but new users often have a hard time learning to use manual exposure. With both aperture and shutter speed to adjust, and with a change to one forcing an inverse change to the other to keep the exposure the same, getting a handle on manual exposure has been likened to patting your head with one hand while rubbing your stomach with the other. Try it sometime if you don't understand my point. It's sounds easy in concept, but can be harder than you think to master.
I really don't think it's that complicated, but telling beginners it is may bias them into believing it is so.

Bottom line John, I'd stop reading these things. Most of them are either incomplete or irrelevant. Most times, they are also badly in need of proofreading as well.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #4    Top
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
Bottom line John, I'd stop reading these things. Most of them are either incomplete or irrelevant. Most times, they are also badly in need of proofreading as well.
I too disregard these

jessegrossphoto.wordpress.com
  #5    Top
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Guys, harsh criticism of the article's author is a bit much. Complex concepts, ie how a camera meters and how that relates to getting a good exposure, is difficult for many to truly master. I challenge anyone to write an article here or elsewhere that perfectly explains such, do it succinctly, and do it for a wide array of individuals. The next such article will be the first! I'd argue that it doesn't hurt to have an array of approaches to the topic....some are bound to resonate better with some individuals than others.

As for myself, I rarely use Av or Tv (or any other auto mode) as I was weaned on a manual exposure system and therefore am most comfortable with it....but the learning curve to good images has been longer, steeper than if I had access to auto exposure modes arguably. The consolation is that eventual understanding of manual exposure arguably is the principle, if not exclusive, path to truly mastering exposure (not that I have yet!).
  #6    Top
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

You're missing my point Russ.
First of all, understanding exposure doesn't have to made out to be that complex, and the main point of the author, vis, the use of exposure compensation in manual mode is superfluous at best.
A simple explanation of that control, and how and when to use it would better serve the audience he is trying to reach. (novices to intermediates).
The same goes for the use of Manual mode and how one can read the cameras light meter to manipulate the image would be more to the point.
Once one learns those basic steps, it's an easy discovery to learn that the exposure compensation button will have no noticeable effect in manual mode.
And arguably, I think being forced to use manual in my old film camera gave me quicker insight to proper exposure methods.
Auto modes tends to allow close to proper, if not necessarily perfect exposure, without having to recognize any possible user error.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old September 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Hmmmm. I read the article, and enjoyed it, even though I thought it's premise was self-evident.

In defense of the author, I appreciate that he appreciates how tough manual settings can be to the novice. It was a few years ago, but I still remember being aware that smaller apertures mean less light to the sensor while longer shutter speeds mean more light. With digital, add a live ISO adjustment, and now you've got a third setting to keep track of. They're all intuitive to what they do. What is not intuitive to the novice, though, is the effect once you pull them all together. The novice may know setting a larger aperture will increase brightness, but will it increase brightness enough? Throw in the fact that apertures are in f/stops--an inverse measurement--and now you're trying to figure out if you increase or decrease your f/stop to make the bear brighter, and all the time the bear is getting further and further into the woods.

Personally, I know my camera is pretty darn smart. As a result, I shoot almost all my photos in Aperture Priority mode. But I've learned to use the tools at hand to compensate when the camera doesn't share my vision. When I have time and the shot is particularly challenging (i.e., night photography) I'll shoot in Manual.

There is a consequence of setting your EV in Manual, though: it's a sticky setting. While it doesn't effect your exposure in Manual, when you switch back to Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority, your EV setting stays, affecting your exposure significantly!

flickr Photostream
  #8    Top
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
You're missing my point Russ.
First of all, understanding exposure doesn't have to made out to be that complex, and the main point of the author, vis, the use of exposure compensation in manual mode is superfluous at best.
A simple explanation of that control, and how and when to use it would better serve the audience he is trying to reach. (novices to intermediates).
The same goes for the use of Manual mode and how one can read the cameras light meter to manipulate the image would be more to the point.
Once one learns those basic steps, it's an easy discovery to learn that the exposure compensation button will have no noticeable effect in manual mode.
And arguably, I think being forced to use manual in my old film camera gave me quicker insight to proper exposure methods.
Auto modes tends to allow close to proper, if not necessarily perfect exposure, without having to recognize any possible user error.
I have read your discussion with Russel, and I must say I have got really some good information from both of you, It will really help me as I am a newbie.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News