Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:34 AM
Wireless newbie

Hello.
I've been shooting for years with a wired connection. I use my Alien Bees B800 for side lighting and my Canon 580ex for the fill light. This has worked well for me but I'd like to go wireless. ( I have a beach editorial this weekend )
This is a newbie request but I'd like to know how to set this up wirelessly. My concern is that the pocket wizard or device goes on the hotshoe and I wont be able to use my 580ex as a fill light? Would the pocket wizard fire the 580ex if I mounted it on a light stand for the fill? As well as trigger the Alien Bee B800?
Thanks for your patience reading this. I need to start branching out in wireless connections.
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Wireless newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Cormier View Post
Hello.
I've been shooting for years with a wired connection. I use my Alien Bees B800 for side lighting and my Canon 580ex for the fill light. This has worked well for me but I'd like to go wireless. ( I have a beach editorial this weekend )
This is a newbie request but I'd like to know how to set this up wirelessly. My concern is that the pocket wizard or device goes on the hotshoe and I wont be able to use my 580ex as a fill light? Would the pocket wizard fire the 580ex if I mounted it on a light stand for the fill? As well as trigger the Alien Bee B800?
Thanks for your patience reading this. I need to start branching out in wireless connections.
How long of an answer do you want?

The 580ex's and pocket wizards don't always get along well. The reason is that the flash throws out some RF noise which just happens to be on or near the same frequency as the PW's. This interferes with the signal - and misfires happen (I know this to be a fact, I've had this happen more than once). If you are shooting manual - I would suggest a number of other triggering options - but ONLY IF you are keeping the 580 ex around. PW's are an industry standard and are very solid. I've argued that Yongnuo is also a good choice - and that's based on personal experience. Regardless of what you do - wireless is definitely the way to go. Radio wireless especially - no line of sight issues to deal with, etc. Your AB's will fire from practically any wireless radio remote - mine fire great with the Yongnuo.

Good luck - let us know what you decide on - and post some pics!

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting