Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
help need compact digital camera by Christmas

I just had shoulder surgery for my rotator cuff so am out of commission for using my Nikon DSLR camera for Christmas!!! I can't lift that much weight up to shoulder height right now. I CANNOT miss out on taking pics at Christmas & hope someone out there can recommend a decent compact digital camera. I was looking at the Panasonic lumix DMC LX5 but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & if you could tell me why you recommend your particular camera!!!!

My price range is about $500, I want good quality pics with a wide angle/zoom capability, I want to be able to shoot in RAW & I want the least possible shutter lag when you depress the shutter release as you lose too many pics waiting for the focus.

Many thanks!
Teal
  #2    Top
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: help need compact digital camera by Christmas

If you want to stay with Nikon you have the coolpix p7100

or the canon powershot g12.
  #3    Top
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

A year ago I might have given different advice, but today I would say avert your eyes off any compact digital. I can only recommend Olympus or Panasonic 4/3 system ILCs. Bigger sensor, great picture quality low noise. Why would you buy a compact with a teensy sensor if there are several ILCs in that price range. Size is comparable to digicams, quality unequaled.
  #4    Top
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:56 AM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by suci View Post
A year ago I might have given different advice, but today I would say avert your eyes off any compact digital. I can only recommend Olympus or Panasonic 4/3 system ILCs. Bigger sensor, great picture quality low noise. Why would you buy a compact with a teensy sensor if there are several ILCs in that price range. Size is comparable to digicams, quality unequaled.
Thanks for the info Janos. My problem is I can't handle the size of the Panasonic GH1 or GH2 right now on account of surgery. I loathe the idea of using a compact camera but it is that or miss out on Christmas pics altogether

Teal
  #5    Top
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealsky View Post
Thanks for the info Janos. My problem is I can't handle the size of the Panasonic GH1 or GH2 right now on account of surgery. I loathe the idea of using a compact camera but it is that or miss out on Christmas pics altogether

Teal
If you can handle a Canon G 12, then why should an OLY. EP1 weighing about the same or less cause you problems. Sure it's nice to have a digicam, with a zoom, from here to tuesday, but the quality at higher ISOs is wretched.
  #6    Top
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

If you go wit the nikon coolpix you can attach any nikon flash unit (SB 400,600,700, 900) which reduces the need in most cases for High ISO shooting.

For a little bit more you might also want to look at the Nikon 1J or 1V if you want to go the micro 4/3rds route These things are tiny but may give you better noise control than the coolpix 7100

I suggest the nikon over the Canon because you already have a nikon dslr and some of your accessories like an external flash will work with both.

Most of the micro 4/3s camera's i have seen though are a bit pricier than $500 with lenses
  #7    Top
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
VIP Member

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Still undecided but based on everyone's input, will definitely go for a 4/3 ILC system.

Teal
  #8    Top
Old July 15th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Spammer

i need a digital camera for my making a best profession in my field to show me a best photographer in front of all.
  #9    Top
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientphoto View Post
i need a digital camera for my making a best profession in my field to show me a best photographer in front of all.
No camera will help you do that. Its how you use the camera you are holding that will do that.