Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Manfrotto 055XPROB

Product Review: Manfrotto 055XPROB
  #2    Top
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Toronto By Night
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
I got one of these for Christmas last year, and absolutely love it. Very versatile, can be used for most if not all situations that you will encounter. I also picked up the 468MGRC2 ballhead for this tripod.

On the plus side:
Ball head allows me to point camera is almost any direction.
The legs can be extended to create a very tall tripod (im 6'6")
The legs can be hyperextended for maximum stability.
The neck can be put into a horizontal position.

On the Negative:
Its quite heavy for a tripod... which is good, because it can hold my DSLR, with heavy lenses... but, for hiking trips, it becomes a bit of a weight.
  #3    Top
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Re: Manfrotto 055XPROB

I love this set of tripod legs. A friend of mine has them with a pistol grip head by Manfrotto (the model # is escaping me). They are so sturdy and the height can't be beat. I'm short so being able to get a shot over my head on a good sturdy tripod is important!
  #4    Top
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Hello members,

I am using this legs since Dec2011 and it is excellent support for my D5000+ 300mm f4 +1.7X TC..... Also used it in minimum hight (turned center column) for macro photography and eye level shots of birds , some time..

Regards,

Vinayak
  #5    Top
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

This is an old thread, but since its been rekindled there's no harm in adding another comment. The Manfrotto 055XProB is an EXCELLENT value tripod. I've owned its predecessor 3021ProB for many, many years. The difference between my older model and the newer one is principally that the center column is much more conveniently altered from is vertical range to a horizontal axis. With the older model it was somewhat more tedious to shift between the 2, having to unscrew something at the bottom of center column, pull it out, and reinsert horizontally. Now its just a push of button and bam, done! The horizontal axis orientation not only allows a much wider array of uses, including as a pseudo macro rail, but also allows the center column to be shifted and thus not an impediment to having the tripod lowered to a very low ground clearance height.

The 055 series (aluminum or carbon fiber) are very robust and my years/decades of usage can testify to that . The flip locks are convenient and until recently were the best leg height adjustment system in my view. Parts are STILL available, something that generally can't be said for other brands. I'll bet I could resell my old one for near what I paid for it originally, albeit in 2012 dollars! Alluminum versions are not light...but also not heavy given their stability and dampening capabilities. The smaller, lighter 190 series is an alternative AS LONG as the user can use it principally without having to compensate by raising the center column, ie a monopod atop a tripod!

I've moved on to Gitzo carbon fiber tripods for incremental improvements in weight, stability, dampening, and convenience (the new G lock system is a dream and a major improvement over its predecessor)....but at MUCH higher prices. The 055 series are unquestionably a great value.
  #6    Top
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:31 PM

Yes it is ok..also if a little heavy
Ciao
Gio
  #7    Top
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:13 AM

too heavy to lug around when I'm traveling.
  #8    Top
Old July 22nd, 2014, 06:19 AM

I am an advanced/amateur photographer and needed to upgrade my tripod. Old one was flimsy and unstable - could not support my Nikon D7100. This one is wonderfully sturdy (makes my old one look like a tinker toy!!) Solid construction - I doubt that I will have to replace this tripod anytime soon. It is tall enough that I will rarely, if ever, have to use the center column for extra height. The legs extend easily, and I love that they straighten out for low-to-the-ground shots. This has upped my game!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Canon 6D | Canon 35 f2 IS | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II | Canon 24-105 f4 L IS | Canon 100 mm Macro
Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta | Foto video nunta | Foto video Brasov
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews