Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Artist Point.....part 1 of 2

We took a short overnight trip up to Mt Baker/Mt Shuksan in mid September, arriving at the Heather Meadows/Artist Point area late afternoon. Artist Point is on the northern flank of Mt Baker, just above the Mt Baker ski area, with Mt Shuksan to its immediate NE and across a valley. Presented in order taken.

1. While there are trails across Artist Point and its very fragile terrain, there's also lots of rock. Most folks don't appreciate that even on such rocks clings life (lichens, etc). Here is a shot looking NE into Mt Shuksan.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 67
ISO-100, f-14, 1/20 sec., polarizer
tripod, MLU, cable release

2. Artist Point is really a ridge with tremendous viewpoints in all directions. Here is one of the 1st tarns ascending the trail. Other hikers retained to give scale.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 35
ISO-100, f-14, 1/40 sec., polarizer

3. Looking across the valley that separates Mt Baker/Artist Point from Mt Shuksan. The trail to Lake Ann starts down the access road a short way, DESCENDS down the valley (left to right) and then ascends up thru the saddle located on the distant ridge below the lowest snowfield on Shuksan and immediately upon Lake Ann....an 8 mile round trip. You MIGHT be able to see the thin line of trail ascending diagonally up the scree slope.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 32
ISO-100, f-14, 1/8 sec., polarizer

4. I haven't been here in several years....but you'd think that I could remember that you need to be at Picture Lake (as aptly named a lake as exists!) earlier than expected due to shadowing from a ridge behind to the west. Still, the foliage was a bit early yet thus the foreground in silhouette wasn't a total waste!

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 40
ISO-100, f-14, 1/8 sec., polarizer

5. Opting to stay overnight, we hoped to catch a great star show and even have a crack at optomistic reports of northern lights. After a day of blue sky, evening brought a layer of hazy clouds and an unexpected (not checked) nearly full moon...so neither! "Make lemonade...", letting the moon go overexposed to capture some detail in the surroundings.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 105
ISO-800, f-9, 30 sec.

As always, your comments & critique are appreciated.
  #2    Top
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: Artist Point.....part 1 of 2

Beautiful series Russ and well shot! You just put another place on my to visit list

My Smugmug
  #3    Top
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Account Disabled
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Viktor, thanks for the comments. Do you recognize the mineral providing the distinct orangish area on the left ridge? I'd assume its a ferric/ferrous oxide of some sort.
  #4    Top
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Heh, no, from a distance I can't tell what it is, only that it's brown-red dirt... What I can say is that the rocks are all volcanic there, so it's probably the result of chemical weathering of some sort of volcanic rock. I just looked it up, and in the area there are andesites, rhyolites, hydrothermal alteration of rocks and other deposits, so I'd have to see the rock up close to see what it is, and then determine what the weathering product of that rock would be. Seeing how localized it is, I would guess that it's either hydrothermal or a dyke. That being said, the most common mineral to give rocks/sediment that kind of colour is iron rust, and if it's an iron rich rock to begin with, then it would make sense. So yes, you are correct that it's probably that, but I can't be sure - there are many other minerals that can give rock the same colour.

My Smugmug
  #5    Top
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Russ these are stunning !! I LOVE the reflected images !! I love em all actually but the reflected ones POP off the screen,, are these SOOC or are you editing them ? the shadow areas in a few are quite dark and if you shot in RAW you could recover some detail there but I love em !!
  #6    Top
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Loving the reflection shots Russ, I like the inclusion of the hikers in #2.

The water in #4 is about as perfect as you could get for a mirror effect.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

wonderful series. I hope I don't cause confusion next week when I post pics of Artist Point......in Yosemite

Too many places with the same name. What's funny is the Yosemite "Artist Point" is near "Inspiration Point" which inspired the whole idea of a National Park.

Those reflections you got in your lake shots are just fabulous. Seems whenever I visit any lake the wind is blowing ripples galore.
  #8    Top
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Roses On Counter Top
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Great series Russ You make me want to get the camera gear out and head north. How tough a hike, elevation gain and length?
  #9    Top
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

great series, Russ! i quite like the shots with the tarns on Huntoon Point... i've been to Artist Point several times, but haven't hiked out to Huntoon Point in a couple of years. something to add to my list for next year! that area has to be some of the most breathtaking scenery in the state!

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #10    Top
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Account Disabled

Jim, John, Clark, Jerry, & Rocky,
Thanks for viewing and your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaharris1001 View Post
.........are these SOOC or are you editing them ?......
Sort of!!! These are resized by pulling into Paint, selected and pasted into the primitive editor within MS Outlook for slight retouching....embarrassing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywb View Post
........ How tough a hike, elevation gain and length?
About as easy as it comes! The hiking area is virtually same elevation as the terminus parking lot at Artist Point, a trailhead for other longer hikes, ie Chain of Lakes, Ptmarigan Ridge etc. Its actually Kushan Ridge that's no more than a 1/2 mile long (without dropping over the edge!) with spurs and LOTS of photo ops.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places