Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
"Forest Service Says Media Needs Photography Permit in Wilderness Areas"

Since I know a lot of you are from the Pacific Northwest, thought you might be interested in this article. It came across my Twitter feed this morning.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...edia_need.html

Plus I think this could pertain to all of us eventually. After all where would the permit stop? If I wanted to take a photo of a lake or mountain, and then sell it as fine art, would that now be considered media? What if I saw something, snapped a picture, and then did an op-ed piece, would that be considered? Such a fine, fine line...

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #2    Top
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: "Forest Service Says Media Needs Photography Permit in Wilderness Areas"

The USFS personnel fall into a range of categories IMO. Some are great, some are the antithesis of great. Some are true conservationists and some are the worst kind of red-necked resource harvesting bigots imaginable. I'd bet money that this shortsighted, CYA self serving "rule" will be defeated in court. It is only applicable to "media", not us amateurs. There are already rules re commercial photographers...and rightly so. That said, part of the justification and even public acceptance of this rule is attributable to the culpability of the sensationalistic media.....a growing segment of the media! I can see prohibiting or limiting access, but ONLY if defendable across the entire population of users, ie you can't bring in a caravan of trucks with noisy power generators while trampling pristine fragile habitat just because "there's a story".....but you also can't prohibit the capture of photos, video, or audio that causes (predictably or actually) no greater impact than other users.
  #3    Top
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

i suspect this is one of those things where someone, somewhere, thought it MIGHT pose a problem, and it's gotten blown up from there. i haven't seen anything specific that prohibits hobbyist photographers from taking photos in any wilderness areas... i don't think we need worry about Ranger Rick lurking behind a moss-covered log waiting to pounce on the poor sod who dares to take a photo of an animal or a mountain stream. this is just like the national park rules that prohibit "commercial" photography or filming in the parks... you can't just take a film crew or a couple of models and wardrobe people and props into the park and start shooting commercials, but hobby photographers are free to shoot all the images they want. and if they later choose to offer those images for sale, no one cares. i've been doing it for years.

also, remember that most "wilderness" areas are largely inaccessible except by foot or on horseback anyway... you don't see media types with newscams or film crews slogging for miles on muddy trails for ANY reason...they just don't do it. they'l park their van at a trailhead and do an "on location" segment there, and call it good, or they'll overfly the area with a helicopter, and the USFS can't really restrict that because they don't control the airspace. professional documentary videographers or film makers might venture into the wilds, but for those uses, requiring a permit is reasonable, and their sponsors would pick up the tab.

as for USFS personnel, i've only rarely even SEEN them, and when i do, they're usually just prowling the parking lots to make sure everyone's paid their parking fees, not patrolling trails watching for someone with an SLR to harass. when i have encountered rangers in "wilderness" areas or in the national parks (which have similar rules already), even though i'm carrying what would be considered a "professional" camera and tripod, etc., i've never once been challenged; if anything, the rangers ask if i've gotten any good shots, and we chat for a bit, and then go our ways.

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; September 24th, 2014 at 07:21 PM.
  #4    Top
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Roses On Counter Top
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

If I recall correctly this non-commercial fund raising idea/scheme surfaced about 20 or 30 plus years ago and never bore fruit. With all the phone cameras, point-n-shoots, etc. it would be interesting to see a law like this enforced evenly.
  #5    Top
Old October 9th, 2014, 03:20 AM

also, remember that most "wilderness" areas are largely inaccessible except by foot or on horseback anyway... you don't see media types with newscams or film crews slogging for miles on muddy trails for ANY reason...they just don't do it. they'l park their van at a trailhead and do an "on location

#6    Top
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Besides the photo I posted of the photog crossing the into a do not enter area for photos of deer in a meadow. This is another reason even more scrutiny is being give to photgraphers.

http://www.backpacker.com/news-and-e...ational-parks/

To me this is not art...it is the destruction of art as Teddy said "You cannot improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it."

Marring it is definitely what this person is doing.
  #7    Top
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Besides the photo I posted of the photog crossing the into a do not enter area for photos of deer in a meadow. This is another reason even more scrutiny is being give to photgraphers.

http://www.backpacker.com/news-and-e...ational-parks/

To me this is not art...it is the destruction of art as Teddy said "You cannot improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it."

Marring it is definitely what this person is doing.
Here's some info on the vandalism...........

http://petapixel.com/2014/10/24/arti...ote-instagram/

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #8    Top
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Public stoning seems suitable!!!! I've ALWAYS maintained that ANY graffiti is vandalism, regardless of the artistic skills(?) of the perpetrator which should NOT diminish the primary consideration that it is first and foremost a crime. I hope that she gets fully prosecuted.
  #9    Top
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Public stoning seems suitable!!!! I've ALWAYS maintained that ANY graffiti is vandalism, regardless of the artistic skills(?) of the perpetrator which should NOT diminish the primary consideration that it is first and foremost a crime. I hope that she gets fully prosecuted.
I saw an article recently, (wish I could find the article again, but a quick Google image search will give you a good idea) about "Reverse Graffiti" Where the artists are sneaking into places, and strategically cleaning walls in certain ways to make art. That, I could get behind.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner