Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:20 AM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Wedding photography gear combo that im contemplating

Wedding season is coming up and ive been thinking about what to get for a good while, and so far this is what ive come up with.

Canon 20d without the kit lense from willoughbys for $1335us

BG-E2 battery grip which I hear can use AA's but I havent confirmed it yet.for $170 or so

Sigma 28-105mm F2.8-4 Aspherical lens for $200us which should be good for most of the wedding shots. The only problem with this one is its not to wide. Theres a sigma one that is

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO lens for $210 which will be good for nature photography since thats the equivalent to 480mm with the 1.6 factor. May come in handy in some wedding shots but not to often, plus I dont want to carry that around for a few hours.

** Sigma has a kit of the 2 above lenses but the first one is only 28-70mm and the 2nd is 70-300mm EF or something like that I was told gives a soft image. I wonder if you can get b&h or someone make a deal and upgrade the kit lenses to the 2 above, but probably not.

And then im thinking of getting two or three 512mb cf cards. I need to do more research to find out what speeds and brand combo's are recommended.

The above I figure is around $2000us

Then after thats paid for my goal is to get a good wide angle lense, something like 17-40mm, I cant find the one I was looking at before but it was $1500us. It might have been a Canon L series, but im not sure. I was looking for it in the sigma list and they seemed to have the same sizes but for half the price, so Ill have to think about that.

Also when I can, get a release cord which is around $50us.

Then a couple years down the road, I plan to get a 2nd digital body for a backup, perhaps the canon rebel. But now that im thinking about it, its tempting to get the rebel first and the 20d later on.

I have a manual flash, but Ill probably want to get one that will work with the light meter in the lense eventually.

Im not sure about the warranty, most of the time thier a waste of money and is a scam the store does to get extra money from you.

Does anyone have any comments on the gear or suggestions for some better stuff? Money is an issue, but hopefully I can get some weddings to cover some of the bills. :0)
  #2    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Lomographer
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
I'd go for the 20D,although as you probably know, I already have!

The BG-E2 does take AA batteries - six of them I think, and there is a holder for them that comes with the grip. You'd be better getting the Canon re-chargable battery packs for it though - it holds two of them. I've ordered a grip which should be here this week.

CF cards - I went for the Sandisk 1GB Ultra II which is a fast card. You'd probably want to buy a "few" to be on the safe side.

I bought this lens to start with:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod..._usm/index.asp

Which is a nice working lens for me.

Items on my shopping list are:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod..._usm/index.asp
A "wide angle"
Speedlight
Remote release

www.baimaging.com
www.lomohomes.com/duality

NB: If you edit my work, please don't upload it to Imageshack - just attach it to a message, thanks.
  #3    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO

I wouldnt waste my money on this lens. Fine if your going to shoot outdoors, but its really slow - read the reviews.
  #4    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Just a comment on the 1.6 factor. It does not turn your 70-300 into a 480mm lens. It gives you the same effect as if you took a 300mm shot on 35mm format and cropped it so that it appeard to come from a 480mm lens. In other words, there's no increase in magnification, only perspective.

The 20D is a good choice. It will serve your purposes well.

Consider 1Gig cards. Prices have dropped considerable and you can buy 1G cards for less than 512M cards cost 3 months ago.

The Canon lens you're thinking of is the 16-35 f/2.8L. Cost is $1300-1800 US. The 17-40 is an f/4 and can be found for $700US.

Read the reviews on the Sigma lenses you're considering. Sigma makes some fine lenses, but they also make some dogs.

I had the battery grip on my DRebel. I don't have one on my 10D and have no desire to add one. Doesn't do much for me. I just keep a spare charged battery in my bag. One battery will last for many shots.

Just some thoughts for your consideration.
  #5    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I have the canon 28-135 IS lens. I LOVE it. Oh ben...that 70-200 is on my list too but I dont think I'll ever be able to afford the "white" lenses! But when I can I'll be carring that sucker with me every where I go...including the grocery store I'll just use it as a fashion accessory.

Sorry, I'm laughing here all by myself..... Is that a big white canon lens in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Ok, I really should start my spaghetti sauce.

I'm a photographer not a terrorist
http://www.flickr.com/people/ajreamsphotography/
Canon 20D, Canon S1is, Canon Elan 7n
Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 F4L, 420EX speedlite
  #6    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Does anyone know of a website that gives reviews on camera accessories, mostly lenses? I think dpreview focuses on digital camera's.

Money will be tight and I want to get a few memory cards so all my pictures wont be on one card so I may not be able to get the 1gb cf, I think they are around $99us or so.

Ive heard the sigma 70-300 apo gives sharp images, it would be nice to try the lenses out in store first but Ill probably be buying these online and the area Ill be moving to doesnt have any camera stores in the area that I know of, nor computer stores, not sure how Ill survive, hehe.

The main thing I dont like about that tele lense is I dont think it has IS, but the extra $200 that canon one costs is a bit out of my range for the time being. I plan to upgrade to better stuff when I can afford it.

I have the battery grip for my film rebel and I like the way it feels with it on, gives you more to hold onto, and makes verticle shots easier to take. Plus those digital camera batteries are expensive I think so buying more than one might be out of my range. I have alot of rechargeable AA's so at least that would be a backup. I would hate to be at a wedding and find that my batteries are dead and I cant take a single picture more. At least with the grip I can go buy 6 AA's if I have to. So the grip is more for insurrance.

Im really leaning towards getting the 300d since its like $500 cheaper and I planned to get the rebel eventually anywase for a backup camera. I would prefer to get the 10d over the drebel but its hard to find it new and its only a couple hundred less than the 20d so it doesnt seem worth it in comparison. May as well go for the 20d if I was to spend the extra money.
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Digital camera batteries arent really that b ad, especially if you buy off brand. I think my friend got his for 11 bucks a battery, he uses them with his batt grip and hasnt had any troubles.
  #8    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:34 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Trust me GerryDavid...unless money is really the issue, you'll be happier with the 10D or the 20D over the DRebel. The focusing and metering differences are worth the money.
  #9    Top
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Lomographer
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
Trust me GerryDavid...unless money is really the issue, you'll be happier with the 10D or the 20D over the DRebel. The focusing and metering differences are worth the money.
Seconded.

www.baimaging.com
www.lomohomes.com/duality

NB: If you edit my work, please don't upload it to Imageshack - just attach it to a message, thanks.
  #10    Top
Old December 13th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Re: Wedding photography gear combo that im contemplating

What I*read*I really liked it.*Thank you for*your information!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting