Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
External Hard Drive Recommendations

Hey all,

I know I haven't been around the corner much lately, (I am trying to change that I promise), but I really need help, and the sooner the better. I almost lost my files. Something has been going on with my computer the last few weeks and it's been shutting down randomly for no apparent reason. A few days ago it BSOD me and refused to start, refused to recover, etc. etc. Fortunately someone walked me through a few things and I got it back up and running.

My last external was a Seagate and downloaded files from my old computer, but has since refused to work with my new computer (New computer refuses to recognize that the external is even connected to it.) I think it's a loose connection as my S.O. has kicked the cord a couple of times and knocked it over...despite my trying to keep it out of the way and against the wall...

tl;dr: I'm looking for a new External Hard Drive and am looking for suggestions, either why I should or should not get whatever brand.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #2    Top
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: External Hard Drive Recommendations

I have a seagate USB drive (3TB) and it is just dandy. My local system drive is my working drive but it does not take all that long to move files
  #3    Top
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Seagate - by far better than Western Digital.

If you want to get fancy, they make a bunch of cool stuff. Net-workable docking stations - Wireless Hard Drives, all kind o stuff. But seriously at our company we replace a ton of hard drives. Seagates are by far the most reliable.

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
  #4    Top
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

A couple of years ago, I bought a Seagate 2TB external USB drive, when "fast" was USB 2.0, and "cheap" was $300. I used it for a couple of months as my primary backup before it failed and lost all my files. I was able to reformat, and I've been using it since as a "light" backup system--mostly transferring files.

I then purchased a Western Digital 8TB configured in RAID5 (effectively 4TB, with an additional "backup"). I've been using it attached to my Ethernet 1Gb ever since (it also has USB 2.0 and SATA connections), quietly running in the background. It survived my move from Colorado to Pennsylvania just fine. It was also a PCMag Editor's Choice. It was expensive at $800, but a lot has changed since then, and prices have dropped hugely. I did stop using the supplied software after I tried to do a restore but was asked to buy the upgrade in order to do so! I simply switched to Norton Backup, which also gives me 2GB free online storage.

I won't enter a brand name debate. Whatever you get, though, I do recommend the peace of mind of a RAID5, in case one of your internal drives fail and for its expansion capabilities.

Next stop for me is online storage through someone like Carbonite or Mozy for an additional bit of peace of mind.

flickr Photostream
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjin_nav View Post

I won't enter a brand name debate. Whatever you get, though, I do recommend the peace of mind of a RAID5, in case one of your internal drives fail and for its expansion capabilities.
THIS!... I have a small NAS at home - 6TB of Raid 5 goodness. I would never subject myself to a single copy on a single drive. My .02.

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
  #6    Top
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:58 AM

I am having seagate 500 GB external HDD it is performing well. Seagate is more better than western Digital.
  #7    Top
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:56 PM

I have two Western Digital external hard drives - one stores 1 TB and the other 3 TB. I bought the 1 TB drive about two years ago and the 3 TB drive last year. They have performed flawlessly on my Dell PC. I also have a Seagate 500 GB external hard drive and it works fine, too. So, having had absolutely no problems with Western Digital or Seagate drives, I can't agree that Seagate is better.

Ron
  #8    Top
Old December 24th, 2014, 02:58 AM

I will suggest you buy from this website http://www.promotionaldrives.com/ , and quality is awesome.

Thanks
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous