Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Been Missing Out

I have GOT to invest in a new dedicated monitor. I've been using my laptop screen, or hooking my laptop up to my tv to do editing, and today I'm subbing for a digital art teacher and her monitor is frickin' huge. I had some time between classes so I checked out my website just to see what it looks like to people that can afford things like this...Wow...just wow...

Found a few photos that at that high of a resolution looked a bit grainy and/or oversharpened. Will have to revamp how I do things, but man what a difference a bigger monitor makes. And since it's the digital art computer I know it's well calibrated.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #2    Top
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Premiere Member
Re: Been Missing Out

It's true, size does matter.

I've always had laptops and the largest screen was 17", it just happens to be on the one I'm using now. Awhile back the screen went and after some research I had narrowed it down to a bad screen inverter, so I pulled it apart and replaced it, twice. After that I decided to replace it with this and couldn't be happier.

If I had to find anything wrong with it(nitpicking really) it would be the volume of the speakers on it, it's borderline non-existent. It isn't a problem for me though as I run sound through a USB DAC/Amp to my Sennheiser HD 600 headphones anyhow.

Best of luck sorting out which one you want, there's heaps out there to choose from.
  #3    Top
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

My wife would kill me with that price tag. (One of the reasons I haven't gotten a new monitor yet. She begrudgingly accepts my photography...up to a point. However I do work with a Real Estate Agent that I sometimes work in trade with...

I did two houses for her and instead of a check she got me LR5. I happened to mention a new wide angle lens I was interested in, and she told me to send her the links. So...at this price tag...might take a few houses...but it would be worth it.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Premiere Member

I put it on my Newegg preferred account with a few other items to get it just over $500, that way I get 12 months to pay it off with zero interest. Even though I haven't worked in over a year it's pretty easy to take the $9.62 hit every week, I just have coffee at home instead of picking some up while out and about. Small sacrifices(if they can truly be called that) here and there have had my savings last a lot longer than they should have.

Now is when I catch heat for not participating in the premier projects given all my free time.
  #5    Top
Old April 17th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

monitors make a HUGE difference !! I have a 24" monitor and I also use a Spyder 4 Pro tp calibrate, it makes viewing and editing much more enjoyable,, many people have to also realize that when THEY view images we post on sites such as this with their cell phone or IPad the images will look different then when viewed on a large screen , I notice when I check my images on my cell they usually look dark and the colors are all off, so a thought to many of you viewers out there
I also bought my monitor through Dell, same as the above post to where you can make monthly installments and not have to come up with the cash up front
  #6    Top
Old April 17th, 2015, 05:10 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

I love my laptop, with its 17 inch screen, but now I want a 24 inch monitor to go with it. hahaha. Thanks guys. Not sure how I'm going to explain that one to my husband. I think he will disown me.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #7    Top
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:07 AM

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20DNewbie View Post
I put it on my Newegg preferred account with a few other items to get it just over $500, that way I get 12 months to pay it off with zero interest. Even though I haven't worked in over a year it's pretty easy to take the $9.62 hit every week, I just have coffee at home instead of picking some up while out and about. Small sacrifices(if they can truly be called that) here and there have had my savings last a lot longer than they should have.

Now is when I catch heat for not participating in the premier projects given all my free time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaharris1001 View Post
monitors make a HUGE difference !! I have a 24" monitor and I also use a Spyder 4 Pro tp calibrate, it makes viewing and editing much more enjoyable,, many people have to also realize that when THEY view images we post on sites such as this with their cell phone or IPad the images will look different then when viewed on a large screen , I notice when I check my images on my cell they usually look dark and the colors are all off, so a thought to many of you viewers out there
I also bought my monitor through Dell, same as the above post to where you can make monthly installments and not have to come up with the cash up front
A monitor and calibration software will likely be next on my list. Unfortunately I was unemployed for about three months so my credit cards are pretty much maxed out at this point until I can recover a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems View Post
I love my laptop, with its 17 inch screen, but now I want a 24 inch monitor to go with it. hahaha. Thanks guys. Not sure how I'm going to explain that one to my husband. I think he will disown me.
Well, come down this way. We can be photography bums together. (If I'm going to be homeless 'cause I got kicked out I'm at least going to be homeless where it's warm more often than not.)

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #8    Top
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I had monitor envy too, Ian, until I bought a Dell 24" HD monitor. Then, my old PC died, and I had to buy a new computer. With much research and angst, I moved to the new iMac with it's 27" retina display. I now run the two displays together. I can't begin to tell you how much better the retina at 218 dpi is than the old monitor at 92 dpi.

I actually thought the Mac was incorrectly scaling the old monitor!

Believe me, I'd now rather have a smaller retina display than a large HD one (though it's nice to have both).

flickr Photostream
  #9    Top
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Premiere Member

Here's an interesting deal.

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-...ref=cnt_dly_tl
  #10    Top
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:12 PM
Premiere Member

Here's another deal if anyone is still looking, 22" for $80/27" for $180.

https://meh.com/