Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:28 PM
High speed sync flash

I'm new to using flash for shots but I was trying to take high speed shots and use my flash but was limited to 1/250 when I popped up my onboard flash on my Canon 60d. I did some research and found out that I need an outboard flash for the hot shoe that can high speed sync because I want to take some indoor shots at 1/2000 or faster. I read but I'm unsure what kind of flash unit I need that will speed sync with my Canon. I have been looking at the Sunpak PF30X/DigiFlash 2800 E-TTL, but their description doesn't say whether it has high speed sync feature. If a flash unit says it's E-TTL capable does that mean that it can high speed sync? Does the Sunpak PF30X/DigiFlash 2800 E-TTL have high speed sync and if not can anyone give me a list of flash units that have HSS capability that will work with my Canon 60d? Thanks for any help.

1hdr4u.
  #2    Top
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: High speed sync flash

I see you've gotten some answers from other forums. To directly answer your question: no - the SunPak you list will not do HSS. I've been very happy with the Yongnuo YN-568EX strobe and 622C triggers, all of which support ETTL and HSS. They are cheap - and reliable.

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no16caddis View Post
I see you've gotten some answers from other forums. To directly answer your question: no - the SunPak you list will not do HSS. I've been very happy with the Yongnuo YN-568EX strobe and 622C triggers, all of which support ETTL and HSS. They are cheap - and reliable.
I've been looking at some of the Yongnuo flash units that have HSS capability and may pick one up, but for taking high speed shots indoors I've been told that the flash on your camera does the job just fine.
  #4    Top
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'll assume that your 60D has onboard flash (vs none on the 5D or 1D series). If by "the flash on your camera" you mean the built in, aka onboard or "pop up" flash, then no it does not do HSS. If you meant an external flash MOUNTED on the camera, then yes the FLASH can be set to HSS (if the flash is a model featuring such) thus allowing higher shutter speeds......... but then you have the quality issue of flat, aka front, lighting vs an off camera positioning of the flash, especially if the flash is providing the main light vs just fill light.
  #5    Top
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:18 AM

I would stick to Canon brand flashes if you have Canon cameras and Nikon flashes for those who have Nikon cameras. You won't regret it.
  #6    Top
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I have a Nikon and have used Nikon speedlights without any issues. My son borrowed my speedlight and just couldn't find the heart to return it

I figured why not give the Yongnuo a try, really good reviews and you can't beat the price. I purchased the Yongnuo YN-568EX TTL HSS 1/8000s for 104.00 and this flash is pretty darned good. Simple menu, has all the bells and whistles the Nikon had and I believe this model is more powerful than the SB600 I was shooting with.

Give'em a try, you won't regret it
  #7    Top
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

lol, I got pulled into an ancient thread better get some coffee
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting