Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 14th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Bright Lights and Dizzy Heights

Hi all,

After my trip to the states I thought I would upload a couple of my fave pics from NYC, I am trying to take all your comments on board and hopefully you can see some improvement from some of my previous attempts. I took 3500 photos so you may see a few more in the coming weeks.

All comments and advise greatly received.

Much love
Ric

NYC life by richard booth, on Flickr
NYC heights by richard booth, on Flickr
  #2    Top
Old October 15th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: My best friend Becky
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: Bright Lights and Dizzy Heights

Hello Ric,

I like both images. My favorite is the second one, I like the elevated point of view and the composition.
  #3    Top
Old October 15th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

My fave is the first image as it puts the viewer into the life of the scene
  #4    Top
Old October 20th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Senior VIP Member

Both are very well done images, but I, too, prefer the first one.

Joshua 1:9
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes."
--Dewitt Jones
John 3:16
flickr
www.southpawphotos.com
  #5    Top
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, I am learning so much from you lot. I like both photos but the first is my fave and I think the grain from the high iso adds to it.

had such an amazing time in America and got over 3500 photos..... don't worry I wont be putting them all up.

Ric
  #6    Top
Old October 27th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Challenging exposure looks well done in both. Re framing/composition the 1st has superfluous foreground (empty)....I'd crop to bottom of nearest feet. 2nd feels awkwardly cropped, ie thru cars/people at bottom...probably unavoidable. The keystoning effect, ie vertically plumb walls/lines of buildings etc looking as if they're falling into the center, is a consequence of tilting a wide angle lens up, understandable as you attempt to frame the scene. There are methods to avoid or at least minimize that either by keeping the lens axis of your camera perfectly horizontal, or using a tilt/shift lens, and/or correcting in post processing (photoshop et al).
  #7    Top
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:36 PM

Hi Russ,

Thanks for such a detailed review of the pictures, not sure about the coping to to first picture, I like the journey up the street and would lose that if cropped any more.

The second picture was taken on a bus heading downtown do had a one shot chance so happy with the outcome, (also cheap kit lens as I am skint and cannot afford new lens) I know what you mean regarding the buildings leaning in but did adjust in post and lost a lot of the NYC feeling of all the buildings falling in on you. From my point of view the look defines my feelings of new York, so busy and dark on street level to the bright sky's hight above

I will take your comments on board and thank you for taking the time to give such a constructive detailed review. Does make me better as think about what you all say..... Prob don't think that looking at my other photos ha.

Peace
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes