Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 9th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Staged vs non staged

Seems like every few months there is an article about staging...

Here's a good one

Now I am a firm believer that every single photo is staged to a degree to make the point, but would love to hear some other opinions on the matter.

Website | Gear
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old November 10th, 2015, 03:43 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Staged vs non staged

Composition is not staging. Pretty much I think the best way to examine this is the chance of re-producing the shot. The more staged or posed a shot is the more likely you can repeat the shot.

Event shooting generally is comprised of both posed and unposed even in weddings. Certainly you have all those nicely posed shots of the bride, groom and the rest of the wedding party.

But capturing the ring exchange during the ceremony or the first kiss, the cutting of the cake or even the tossing the bridal bouquet are shots that are one shot deals. Trying to retake them with the same enthusiasm or freshness is nearly impossible. You get the shot or you don't....and you had better get it.
  #3    Top
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Composition is not staging.
But it can be, and is often used to drive the point home. There is another article making the rounds in the news currently how photo journalists are supposed to shoot just what is there. No staging the scene, no editing afterward, etc.

There's a little newspaper in my area that I'll go out and shoot for once or twice a year when I have some free time. (Great owners that I love to help).

Anyway, one of the "rules" is that the image must be real.

If I zoom in past some things that I don't want in the image, is it still real? Does it tell the entire story or does it simply tell the story I want it to tell?

Can composition be staging if that is the intent?

Another area of hot topic is the fashion industry where models/celebrities are photoshopped to be skinnier or have more or less hips and chest. People scream that it is fake, yet it was never supposed to be real.

Would the argument still be the same if the image was done by a painter?

It used to be said that a photograph never lies, but can it ever tell the whole truth?

Website | Gear
  #4    Top
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Well now you are comparing apples and oranges. Those celeb photos and fashion photos are all "posed" Even those on the runway unless a heel breaks. The exception of course would be the work of someone like Bill Cunningham. He was able to combine fashion with street photography and do it very well.

Fine Art vs Photojournalism also has different rules. Fine Art can have pretty much as much manipulation and photoshop work as needed to get the image you desire.

Photojournalism though limits itself in how much editing especially in cloning. Things that are allowed cropping, dodging and burning, contrast adjustments but no real heavy editing or replacing the sky cloning out trashcans or unwanted objects etc.... Sure you do tell a story of what you saw. I shoot cross country for a media company and I select the locations I am shooting from based on lighting, scenery etc...to tell the story of the race. I do not embellish or shooting in a manner which will result in poor quality work.