Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 18th, 2015, 03:21 AM
Question on lenses

I am buying a D3300 soon and have the option of getting both the kit lens(18-55mm) as well as a 50-200mm lens VR for a low price. I have no idea what the difference is and would love an explanation.
  #2    Top
Old November 18th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Question on lenses

the difference is the focal length 18-55mm vs 55-200mm and will be apparent when you look through the view finder.

the 18-55 lens is wider at its shorter focal lengths giving you a much broad view that you will like for landscapes

the 55-200 is more telephoto for close up shots, portraits etc...
  #3    Top
Old November 18th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Question on lenses

There are really 2 issues. The first is FOV (field of view) typically measured in degrees AND measured diagonally (ie upper corner to opposite lower corner). Generally a 40-55mm EQUIVALENT lens is considered comparable to the FOV of a human (when one isn't specifically trying to view wider). I say equivalent because the comparison is using a full frame 35mm camera. If you're using an APS-C (I think Nikon refers to them as DX cameras), that changes things. Therefore an 18-55mm lens on a full frame might be consider a wide to "normal" lens. 14mm would be 4x wider FOV, a 27.5mm would be 2x than the 55mm. Conversely, the 55-200mm telephoto has increasingly narrower FOV with the lens at 200mm nearly 1/4 the FOV as at 55. If mounted on an APS-C (or DX) camera, not all of the image is actually captured by the sensor, therefore the FOV is "equivalent" to that captured by a longer lens by a factor of 1.5 (Nikon?) or 1.6 (Canon), ie your 18-55mm lens acts as if had the FOV of an 28-85mm lens. Note that I did NOT state that it has the magnification of the "equivalent" lens, ONLY the FOV. Many/most folks confuse the 2.

The 2nd issue is the magnification. Not only does a longer focal length appear to magnify the image, but importantly EVERY element within the scene is magnified relatively the same amount. With a telephoto lens you effectively get a compression of the near to far elements....a potentially useful tool in image composition. Conversely, as lenses get shorter focal lengths, the elements within the scene are de-compressed, ie appear as if spread further apart (near to far). Both can be used to the photographer's advantage if they understand how to accomplish that effect and thus understand how/when to employ it.

I cannot speak to the build quality of these lenses as I'm not familiar with Nikon products. I can say that these 2 lenses will cover the vast majority of most people's needs. There will always be an occasion when another specialty type of lens would be nice (ie macro, super telephoto, HIGH quality, etc) but this should suffice as you hone your photography skills. I encourage you to compose images with the subject's relative size within the frame the same BUT shoot from closer and further away (zooming out & in to maintain subject size) and witness what differences appear in the rest of the scene.