Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Recent Photo: Celebrating Life!
Changing the Size of your photos

Hi All, I haven't been on Photography Corner for quite some time now, so much going on!

This may sound like a silly question but when looking at the competitions the requirements state that photos must be a maximum size of 1024x768. When I look at the dimensions of my photos it shows 1936x1296. Even though my photo is less than 1Mb it would seem that the dimension would not be acceptable to the comps. How do I change my photos from 1936x1296 to 1024x768 to make sure it's acceptable? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Laura.
  #2    Top
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Changing the Size of your photos

I take the easy way out on this, but it depends on what software you are using. I have Microsoft Office 2010 and if you open a picture with it you can go to Edit --> Resize Image and there is a list of pre-sizes such as Large Document, Small Document, Large Web, Small Web, Large E-Mail and Small E-mail with the dimensions it will be resized within next to each option. (it will crop the largest side to the largest side even if the smaller sides don't match if that makes sense.) I know most photo editing software has similar options, but as I discovered that in Windows before I could afford other editing programs.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #3    Top
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks. I don't have MS Office (only Open Office), but I do have Picasa and Adobe Photoshop. I will try Adobe and see what I can find.
  #4    Top
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Murtagh View Post
Thanks. I don't have MS Office (only Open Office), but I do have Picasa and Adobe Photoshop. I will try Adobe and see what I can find.
Photoshop makes it easy. Go to Image>Image size.
A menu pops up and you will see where you can change by either pixels or inches.
If you want to change pixel count, you will have to have resample image checked.

You could also use the save for web feature. Make sure it is set to save as a jpeg.

Set your desired pixel size and click save.

If you do it this way, all the exif data will be stripped from the image.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #5    Top
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM

Thank you! I found it and I've resized it. Now my next question is this (lol).....I know this may sound silly (again), but when I look at the photo I see it as a certain size and resolution on my screen, when it is submitted, for example in a comp, will the judges see it exactly the same? Does it depend on screen resolution or HD monitors, etc.? Sorry for all the silly questions, but I always worry that when it gets to the other side it doesn't look quite the way it did to me. Thanks for all the advice!
  #6    Top
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

"...when it is submitted, for example in a comp, will the judges see it exactly the same?"

The answer is: Maybe.

Size and resolution will not be a particular issue, but color and brightness could be a problem. You can probably assume that judges for a formal competition will be using monitors that have been calibrated and profiled - unless it is a competition judged by all users of a website, in which case it will be hit-and-miss. So, if your monitor is also calibrated and profiled they will see pretty much the same thing you saw. However, if your monitor is not calibrated they could see colors and brightness very different from what you saw on your monitor. So all your careful adjustments to make the color and tone of the image exactly the way you wanted may be in vain. [Now, sometimes people get lucky and their monitor is well adjusted and well matched to their computer/video card right out of the box, but this is the exception rather than the rule.]

When submitting photos for competition you can either take your chances and just go for it, or you can buy a calibration system to set up your monitor before you make your image adjustments in post processing. Also know that I think most operating systems provide a built-in software-only way to calibrate your monitor based on your own visual perception. This method is not as good as having an integrated hardware colorimeter along with its calibration program, but it is probably better than nothing. Check your computer's operating system help menu for "color calibration" or "calibrating your display" or something similar.

Here are just some examples of calibration systems (there are many more):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r4Express.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Software.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lorimeter.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Display.html

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #7    Top
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM

Thank you Richard. You have been very helpful and I appreciate the time you took to respond.
  #8    Top
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABaker View Post

Also know that I think most operating systems provide a built-in software-only way to calibrate your monitor based on your own visual perception. This method is not as good as having an integrated hardware colorimeter along with its calibration program, but it is probably better than nothing. Check your computer's operating system help menu for "color calibration" or "calibrating your display" or something similar.

Here are just some examples of calibration systems (there are many more):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r4Express.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Software.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lorimeter.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Display.html

Good luck,
Richard Baker
Very good idea. I finally got around to calibrating mine, even with just the Windows 7 walkthrough my color improved immensely...and also ticked me off looking at some of my old photos that I thought were good in color, and now I realize need to be tweaked here and there.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
Sponsors
  #9    Top
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:30 PM

easy sizing answer:
Photoshop>file>automate>fit - saves for next time.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner