Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Childhood Hero & Prince Charming

This photo was taken in Baltimore. This picture is very close to my heart. One in the foreground is my husband and my father is sitting behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Father&Husband.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	93648  
  #2    Top
Old January 8th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Childhood Hero & Prince Charming

There's a key learning opportunity here. This image means something significantly different to the OP than the rest of this by virtue of her emotional connection/history with the 2 subjects. As is it is effective to her to trigger a wealth of other memories and perceptions of the pair and therefore is adequate for her. For the rest of us, we're trying to make the FIRST connection to these otherwise, hitherto unknowns. Who are these people, where are they, how do they relate to each other, how do they relate to their surroundings.....how do I relate to them?

A number of things are awkwardly cropped in the image: top of pointy building in background, end of bow's pointy thing(?), but most egregiously Dad's foot and hubby's fingers....OUCH. I get a less than comfortable feeling right there. Both have more of a scowl than smile...or a hint of a forced (ie "smile for the camera") smile, perhaps squinting from midday harsh sun. Why are father, son-in-law so distant from and NOT facing each other, ie cold shoulder?

My point is that as a photographer that wants others to see what you see, YOU must comprehend that the viewer's perception may be vastly different than yours and therefore interpret it differently. Don't let your familiarity with the subject override what you actually WANT to show the viewer.

My challenge to you: how could you make this better if you were to reshoot it?
  #3    Top
Old January 8th, 2016, 02:09 PM

Thanks a lot for the review Russ. I understood all the mistakes, there is no way an outsider can understand who are the subjects and is there any relation at all...i get that there is no warmth or love in the picture. I think if I were to reshoot it the composition should be something like handshakes turning into a hug and lots of smile.
So how did I do in your challenge? (I cannot shoot the picture because my parents are in a different country)
  #4    Top
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:59 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Whether they are hugging, handshaking etc...their relationship to you will always be unknown unless you are apart of the scene.

I wish there had been a little more at the bottom of the frame because there does appear to be an eye line between both men in the shot. Your Hubby seems looking back via the corner of his eye and your father staring at him from behind. I don't get a father to adopted son vibe from their appearance but perhaps there is something else going on.

The shot shows an uncomfortable tension between them.

I would expect that is not what you intended
  #5    Top
Old January 9th, 2016, 07:43 AM

@agiledogs : I get what you said. You are correct that was not what I intended for. The scene was something else entirely. I was actually taking my husband's pictures and my father was looking and having a half smile as to how the importance of a person have changed in my life(priorities rather) and my husband was concerned that my father doesn't feel left out as I was taking his pictures for a long time and he was trying to look back. I liked the mood and hence capture the moment but i fully realize that is not what the picture portrays and I get what both of you are saying.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People