Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Portraits : Picture Perfect iPhone Photography with Jack Hollingsworth

1. I tend to ask permission rather than forgiveness for most of the street portraiture I do while traveling
• sometimes it’s simple not, or eye contact, or even speaking through an interpreter
• i find the overwhelming majority of people that I ask flattered that I’m asking to take their photos
• it’s also nice, when time permits, to take a quick selfie together with FaceTime HD camera (front facing camera)

2. I always expose for skin-tones. I set and lock my my exposure reticle on the brightest part of the face
• for light-tone faces, I over-expose up to 1-full stop (use the exposure compensation slider to lighten)
• for dark-tone faces, I under-expose down to 1-full stop (use the exposure compensation slider to darken)

3. Soft, indirect light is always more flattering for travel portraiture.
• That is a big reason I prefer to shoot in the open-shade wherever possible
• soft light reduces contrast and “wraps” nicely around the subject you’re photographing

4. In cultural portraits, you need to keep the eyes in focus. As the eyes are windows to the soul.
• that means “tap-to-focus” on the eye area and lock
• if subject is not perpendicular to camera lens, make sure that the eye, closest to camera, is in sharp focus.

5. Don’t get too close. Shoot from about an arm’s length away.
• the lens that comes with the the iPhone 6s is a 4.15mm lens with a fixed aperture of F2.2
• it’s the rough equivalent of shooting with a 29mm wide-angle lens
• typically, wide-angle lenses distort facial features if you are too close so back-up!

6. I believe the default app, that comes with iPhone, is best all -around app for shooting stills and video portraits.
• if you want more manual exposure, focus and white-balance control, try using any number of camera-replacement apps
• Camera+
• Pro Camera
• Manual

7. There is hardly a photograph I take without using the exposure compensation slider.
• the iPhone has an 8-stop dynamic range (+4/-4)
• sliding the exposure compensation slider up (+) brightens the overall exposure
• sliding the exposure compensation slider down (-) darkens the overall exposure
• optimum exposure is a matter of personal taste and style

8. As a safety measure, it doesn’t hurt to keep the HDR “on”.
• keep HDR on does take up more storage space on your iPhone
• but it’s nice to see what effects the camera gives you back by keeping the default “on” (you can always delete what you don’t like)

9. As a general rule, I happily share my photos with the people I photograph.
• I’m not talking about giving physical photos or digital files to everyone I shot.
• I’m talking about letting the person I’m photographing look at the iPhone screen after I’ve completed my shot

10. I like to shoot a wide variety of Horizontals and verticals for quite a few of my portraits.
• closer portraiture is more of a “vertical” subject
• but because you are shooting with a wide-angle lens (29mm) it’s also good to back out and show more of the context.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials