Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:54 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Toby1
How good is PS Elements 13?

Looking to upgrade my software. (I despise iPhoto!) I'd like some thoughts from any PS Elements 13 users. Good software? Steep learning curve? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  #2    Top
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:20 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: How good is PS Elements 13?

Personally I would look at PS CC as they have a photography special at $10 month for Photoshop and Lightroom. I had elements 10 but never really liked it.
  #3    Top
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I don't know about 13, but I like PSE11. (I wasn't a huge fan of 10, it kept freezing on me.) I know LR5 had a 30 day trial version, I would assume PSE13 would as well. I'd suggest downloading the free trial if there is one and play with it for 30 days.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #4    Top
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:14 PM

I've been using PSE since version 2 back in 2004 (I think that was the date). I now use version 13 and it's fine. I always upgrade to the latest version, although, for years, I've tried to resist doing so unless the Adobe elves have made significant changes to it. Going from ver. 12 to ver. 13 was not big jump, but I couldn't resist upgrading. (By the way, Adobe just released a bug fix to ver. 13, which makes it 13.1.) For me, PSE does the job. I've downloaded trial versions of Photoshop, but I never really felt that I needed it. I also have Lightroom 5.x, which I mainly use to fix lens aberrations, such as barrel and pincushion distortion or chromatic aberrations. Because I'm pretty much a believer in straight photography, PSE 13 does most everything I need.
  #5    Top
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:21 PM

Just go for CC. Why not have the full version? It's cheap.
  #6    Top
Old January 1st, 2016, 02:42 PM
Junior VIP Member

I'm partial to PSE2 and PSE5.

I bought several copies of PSE2 on Amazon and use it to teach the basics. I got several copies for about $10. each.

I use the PSE2 so that my "students" get a chance to see and work with the software before they spend a lot of money on something that turns out not to be what they want.

One of the students bought PSE7 for $20.

The PSE2 for class is used on Win XP, Win 7, Win 8/8.1 and Win 10 successfully.

Last edited by lucian; January 1st, 2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: additional information
  #7    Top
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Senior VIP Member

Hi,
I use Elements 13. Previous to that, someone else who uses this PC installed Elements 10. Going back before then CS2. Elements 13 might run better on Windows 8 and 10, but apart from that I don't think there is really any difference betwen those two. It is a very competent programme. For the vast majority of users, be it for Pro use or otherwise, full blown Photoshop would be a complete waste of money, given Elements' capability.
That is just my opinion though. Nonetheless I hope it helps.
  #8    Top
Old March 8th, 2016, 03:51 PM

Hi!

I started using PSE during version 3 and usually upgrade every other year. Currently I am on version 12 but I got tired up upgrading because I feel like every time I loaded a new version, my favorite tools were moved or renamed. Otherwise I am happy with 12 and use it alot! As a side note, I have found that the very best pricing on PSE is on Black Friday .. I purchased 12, 10 and 9 that way for $49 a copy.

Janet
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner